Classification: Full-time Work schedule: Afternoons/Evenings and weekends, varies Reports to: Ticket Services Director Department: Box Office Salary range: DOE
Berkeley Repertory Theatre, a Tony Award-winning theatre company in Berkeley, CA, seeks full-time box office lead/swing supervisor that supports and supervises sales staff to maintain quality customer service and smooth ticketing operations for a seven-show season plus special events and rentals. This position requires availability primarily during afternoons/evenings and weekends, with occasional company and department meetings. The right candidate will have hospitality, retail, customer service experience and an interest in theatre/performing arts.
Responsibilities include but aren’t limited to
- Assist the box office supervisor to train and motivate sales agent staff.
- Set the tone for the team with a positive, can-do attitude, supporting and empowering the agents to create exceptional customer experiences.
- Supervise sales agent staff.
- Set and implement standard of customer service for agents.
- Provide phone and window ticket sales and act as a point person for sales agents.
- Monitor and respond to customer service emails and general voicemail.
- Set standard of customer service for agents, service customers on phone or window, as needed.
- Resolve customer ticket issues and complaints.
- Open and/or close box office operations one shift a week in tandem with the box office supervisor.
- Manage printing and distribution of tickets.
- Process allocated ticket sales with outside vendors.
- Fulfill house seat requests and maintain house seat allocations, as directed by ticket services director.
- Provide daily reports on all events to company as requested.
- Propose and implement improvements to processes and practices.
- Perform all other job related duties as requested.
Preferred candidate will possess the following qualifications
- Experience with Word, Excel, and Outlook required; knowledge of ticketing systems, Tessitura ticketing software a plus.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Background in performing arts and/or non-profit organizations.
- Commitment to the highest standards of customer service.
- Ability to improvise and problem solve on the go.
- Cash handling experience in food service or retail venue a plus, but not required.
- Attention to detail, with an eye on aesthetics and a willingness to learn.
- Ability to balance operating quickly and efficiently with periodic lulls.
- A proven ability to work with a diverse range of staff and volunteers.
- Evidence of positive disposition, maturity, drive, and enthusiasm.
- Must have excellent verbal and telephone etiquette communication and interpersonal skills; English fluency required.
- Appreciation of the performing arts, especially theatre, a plus.
Knowledge, skills, abilities
- Able to lift 20–30 lbs, as needed.
- Able to sit for 4–8 hours at a time.
Berkeley Rep offers a diverse, congenial, casual environment conducive to professional growth.
Position available immediately. Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and a résumé without delay. Berkeley Rep will contact candidates of interest. Please, no calls.
Email submissions only. Send only PDF files, no web links, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Box Office Lead/Swing Supervisor” in the subject line. Only complete submissions will be considered.