Music of the Baroque (MOB), one of Chicago’s leading classical performing groups, seeks to appoint a Director of Artistic Operations with experience in orchestral and chorus personnel management, concert planning and logistics, music library duties and artistic administration.
The ensemble, in its 48th concert season, is a professional chorus and modern instrument orchestra specializing in the music of the 18th century. Many of the musicians are also members of either the Chicago Symphony or Lyric Opera Orchestras; chorus members have active concert, opera, and teaching careers. With a budget of $2 million and a full-time administrative staff of seven, Music of the Baroque performs principally at the Harris Theater in downtown Chicago and at the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts in suburban Skokie; holiday concerts are presented at three additional church venues. In 2018-19, MOB will present eight concert programs—a total of 18 performances—in a season running from September through May. The ensemble’s Music Director is Jane Glover; Nicholas Kraemer is Principal Guest Conductor.
Reporting to the Executive Director and working in collaboration with the Music Director and Chorus Director, the Director of Artistic Operations is a key member of the senior management team.Principal areas of responsibility and key activities include the following:
· Personnel Management – In consultation with Music Director and Chorus Director, serving as contractor of MOB’s orchestra and chorus. This includes creating concert rosters; maintaining contact information for all players and singers; engaging and scheduling players and singers; securing substitutes and extras; preparing payroll; scheduling and coordinating auditions.
· Concert Production – Securing/booking all performance and rehearsal space; coordinating instrument and equipment rental; attending and assisting at all rehearsals and performances; scheduling/supervising production manager and recording engineer; organizing and producing run-out concerts.
· Planning/Administration – Coordinating artistic planning process; preparing musician and production budget projections and monitoring expenditures; developing master rehearsal and performance schedule; participating in overall organizational planning.
· Music Library – Researching and securing performance materials; ensuring that musicians receive properly prepared scores and parts on a timely basis; maintaining MOB’s music library; assisting in preparation of concert program books.
· Guest Artists – Participating in the selection of and contracting of guest artists and guest conductors; providing excellent guest artist care, including making travel arrangements and providing/arranging local transportation.
· Education – coordinating MOB’s choral education program in a number of Chicago Public High Schools
- Minimum 3 years professional work experience in arts administration, including orchestra management experience.
- Practical knowledge of classical music, including score-reading.
- Strong planning orientation; ability to anticipate and resolve scheduling and logistical problems.
- Experience in working collaboratively with professional musicians and artist managers.
- Ability to maintain high standards of concert production and presentation.
- Acute attention to detail and accurate maintenance of personnel and scheduling information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; computer literacy; flexibility in addressing variable work priorities.
- Position requires some weekends and evenings.
- Automobile is required.
To apply: Send resume and cover letter detailing relevant experience and explaining your interest in the position to: email@example.com with “Director of Artistic Operations” in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please.
Music of the Baroque is an equal opportunity employer. For more information, visit our website at www.baroque.org.