The Director of Design and Creative Content is responsible for the “visual voice” of Goodman Theatre—including the creation of all outward- and inward-facing communication materials and dynamic multimedia content to engage target audiences. The ideal candidate possesses awareness of the Goodman brand, is highly collaborative, deadline- and detail-oriented in a fast-paced creative environment.
Essential Functions of this job include but are not limited to:
- Create/provide creative direction for all materials—print, digital, video—with the graphic design team.
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications and Director of Marketing to develop concepts and campaigns for all productions and programs, and collaborate with other dept. heads on special projects.
- Work across departments to manage and prioritize deadlines and workflow for design/video staff.
- Manage four direct-reports (currently two designers and two videographers) to achieve overall marketing and communications objectives.
- Maintain the Goodman brand across all media with an eye toward quality and consistency, and seeks opportunities to evolve the brand appropriately.
- Lead the team to conceptualize and create a cohesive slate of “signature images” for the season.
- Collaborate with photographers and directing photoshoots as needed.
- Direct the Videographers to ensure the end product is well produced and on message.
- Work with the Director of New Media and Director of Sales to provide guidance on user experience (UX) and graphic design for GoodmanTheatre.org.
- Manage relationships with print vendors.
- Manage the upkeep and maintenance of hardware and software integral to the Design Department.
Competencies: Strong visual, verbal and written communication, and the ability to translate ideas and concepts into a visual. Contribute to headlines and copy as they relate to an overall concept, expert knowledge of hardware and software tools for visual design (specifically Adobe Creative Suite), collaboration, management of others and self-management; initiative. Deadline-oriented with an ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. Self-starter, with attention to detail. Thorough knowledge of the Goodman as an institution and its production history. Thorough knowledge of the
Work Environment & Physical Demands: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, scanners, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, as well as professional video equipment. Employee is regularly reviewing data on computers and in print media, generally in a stationary position and may be required to lift and move photography and video equipment.
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design or related field
Additional Eligibility Requirements: Minimum of 8 years’ experience in art and design, preferably communication design, Experience working with clients, vendors and other visual artists.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender and its expression, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.