The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math.
MoMath is seeking creative, energetic individuals to join its staff as Educators. The Educator role offers the opportunity for a teacher with strong formal K-12 classroom teaching experience to participate in one of America’s major efforts in mathematical outreach to students, teachers, and the public.
Part-time and full-time Educator positions are currently available. The full-time position offers a full suite of benefits. The part-time position requires a minimum commitment of 2 mornings per week and is an excellent opportunity for an experienced math teacher to stay active in education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Field trip offerings for classes, camps, and other groups that visit the museum
- In-museum public demonstrations and group activities
- Mobile museum curricula, including educational outreach activities occurring in schools, community centers, public spaces, and other off-site venues
- Teacher professional development
- Internship programs
- After-school and weekend math clubs or enrichment programs
- Summer math camps and programs
- A minimum of one year of formal K-12 classroom teaching experience is required; state certification or museum experience are desirable
- A strong mathematics background
- A record of successfully conveying the breadth, beauty, vitality, usefulness, and excitement of modern mathematics to diverse audiences
- Experience with and enthusiasm for working with groups of K-12 students on mathematical activities
- A love of communicating mathematical ideas at all levels of sophistication and understanding, especially in ways pitched to be meaningful to a broad public
- The demonstrated ability to manage a classroom and present a compelling, thought-provoking, and fun experience