The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math.
MoMath is seeking full-time and part-time Museum docents (“Interpreters”) to help visitors of all ages, including school groups and families have a rewarding experience during their time at the Museum. These positions require a solid math background, the ability to connect with learners of all ages, and comfort with hands-on education. A strong commitment to customer service is essential.
Full-time and part-time Interpreter opportunities are available. The full-time position offers a full suite of benefits.
- Assisting visitors as they explore Museum exhibits
- Explaining the mathematical concepts underlying exhibits and discussing them with visitors
- Leading interactive demonstrations for Museum visitors as needed
- Monitoring the status of exhibits to ensure they are in working order and keeping them in neat condition, ready for use
- Assisting with presentations when educators need additional help
- Escorting school groups into the Museum
- Greeting visiting classes and other groups upon arrival
- Hosting birthday parties and other group events
- Being a smiling and welcome presence on the Museum floor
- Monitoring the Museum floor for safety issues
- Directing visitors to retail for appropriate content-related items
- Assisting with retail when needed
- Performing other tasks as assigned
- A Bachelors degree in math, science, or equivalent is desirable; college students majoring in math or science are welcome to apply
- A demonstrated passion for mathematics
- Strong communication and presentation skills and comfort speaking in front of large groups
- Previous experience working with children and/or families is a plus
- Experience in formal education, informal education, and/or with a museum in a visitor-oriented role is a strong plus, but not required