Join the Berkeley Rep School of Theatre this summer as an assistant director for our middle and high school Summer Theatre Intensive. Duties include mentoring and supervising a group of students through the play creation process from conception to final performance and working in tandem with directors, playwrights, and specialists in theatre. Assistant directors will create and teach their own syllabus in improvisation as well as collaborate on the creation and direction of the final performance on the last evening of the session. Assistant directors serve as a liaison between the School of Theatre administration and the day-to-day logistics of supporting a high energy, inclusive, and creative environment.
Responsibilities include but aren’t limited to
- Supervising an assigned group of Berkeley Rep School of Theatre students during the school day. Tasks include but are not limited to taking attendance, monitoring the drop-off and pick-up process, and supervising lunchtime, breaks, and free time between class periods.
- Planning, developing, and implementing an intensive class curriculum for assigned classes which is appropriate to the age, needs, and experience of the students.
- Providing assistance to the teachers in the classroom.
- Collaborating with their director on the creation and direction of, and being in attendance for, the final performance on the last evening of the session.
- Attending weekly staff meetings with the associate director of the Berkeley Rep School of Theatre. The time of these meetings will be mutually decided upon during orientation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Berkeley Rep offers a diverse, congenial, casual environment conducive to professional growth.
Position available immediately. Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and a résumé without delay. Berkeley Rep will contact candidates of interest. Please, no calls.