General Summary:? The Animal Keeper 1 will provide care and maintenance of the animals and their associated exhibits and holding areas.? The Animal Keeper 1 will report to his or her assigned Area Manager and the Assistant General Curator.
- Observe changes in animals? appetite, disposition, habits, and in physical appearance and/or excreta to detect indications of stress or illness;
- Inspect enclosures, fencing, pools, and furniture for cleanliness and/or structural defects and to perform minor repairs as needed;
- Prepare diets for animals, clean and fill water containers, and place food in exhibits at specified times;
- Clean facilities, exhibits, and associated animal areas according to the area protocols or as directed by management;
- Transfer animals in accordance with departmental policy and standards from one enclosure to another for husbandry purposes;
- Provide species appropriate and approved enrichment to animals;
- Assist in data collection for approved research projects;
- Provide routine maintenance of facilities and minor repair of equipment, exhibits, and all associated animal areas;
- Maintain familiarity with all animal recapture and restraint equipment;
- Capture and restrain animals for routine veterinary, emergency, training or husbandry, and management procedures;
- Assist with medical care procedures and administer medication as directed;
- Provide general maintenance of grounds in and around exhibits and associated facilities;
- Act as a member of the Animal Recapture Team as needed and directed;
- Drive to specified locations as needed;
- Perform other duties as assigned; Adhere to all policies and procedures of the Zoo.
Communication (Internal and External):
- Maintain reports on all animal conditions in daily reports, diary, records, etc.;
- Provide regular updates to the Area Manager on the condition and status of the animal collection;
- Attend Zoo general staff meetings and departmental meetings;
- Interpret the Zoo to guests, donors, and zoo associates;
- Attend all staff training sessions as directed; and,
- Promote the mission of the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore.
Management of Resources (financial, human resources, facilities):
- Unload and store commissary items; and,
- Maintain equipment and tools in a good state of repair.