The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math.
MoMath is seeking a creative and skilled assistant designer to help develop its one-of-a-kind exhibits and installations. The Museum features innovative, interactive, and exploratory exhibits — designed with a sophisticated design sensibility and an inventive use of technology. The assistant exhibit designer will help develop current and future exhibits and consult with vendors, fabricators, and third parties through all steps of the design and fabrication process.
This is a full-time permanent position that offers a full suite of benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Associate Director / Chief of Design with design tasks associated with current and future exhibits and program materials.
- Develop 3D computer drawings based on Director’s design and technical lead, from concept sketch through to bid drawings.
- Create concept renderings for presentation in various formats including slide shows and brochures.
- Ideate and create visuals of design alternatives.
- Explore and document design solutions addressing spatial, technical, and structural issues.
- Devise detailed and coordinate drawing sets for price estimation and fabricator bids.
- Research materials and equipment.
- Monitor communications with fabricators.
- Degree in exhibit design or related (architectural, interior design, industrial design) required
- Proficiency with Vectorworks or similar CAD program (MoMath is a Vectorworks office) required; proficiency with other 3D modeling programs that compliment Vectorworks is a plus
- Strong 3D design skills; modeling, rendering, graphics integration
- Familiarity with Adobe suite of graphic design and publishing programs (most graphic design tasks are handled by MoMath’s graphics designer)
- Familiarity with the physical properties of typical materials found in exhibits and furnishings
- Prior experience and familiarity with exhibition design
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with Museum staff and be able to effectively communicate with external partners
To apply, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line that includes “Assistant Designer” and your name: A cover letter explaining how you meet the above criteria; a current résumé, including grade point averages; and a separate 150- to 500-word statement describing your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics.