IMAGINATION STAGE ASSISTANT DIRECTOR FELLOWSHIP
Imagination Stage is offering four (4) Assistant Director Fellowships for the 2019-2020 season. This is an exciting opportunity for early-career directors to work closely with the artistic team at Imagination Stage and gain invaluable experience with our Helen Hayes Award-winning Theatre for Young Audiences.
We are seeking four Assistant Director Fellows to bring diverse perspectives and voices to the production process, while receiving mentorship and professional development opportunities to help grow their careers. Each Fellow participates as a member of the artistic team for one of our main stage Lerner Theatre productions, attends design meetings, casting calls, rehearsals, tech and previews. The goal of the program is to mentor Fellows throughout the process and support their career development by integrating them into the greater DC theatre community.
Each of the productions listed below will have one (1) Fellow selected to assistant direct:
The Lion , the Witch and the Wardrobe, directed by Janet Stanford.
DATES: Starts rehearsal 10/29/19 and opens 11/28/19
Zomo the Hip Hop Rabbit, directed by Raymond Caldwell.
DATES: Starts rehearsals on 12/30/19 and opens on 2/8/20
Thumbelina, directed by Natsu Onoda Power.
DATES: Starts rehearsal on 12/20/19 and opens on 2/15/19
Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed, directed by Kathryn Chase Bryer.
DATES: Starts rehearsal on 6/1/19 and opens 6/27/19
- All rehearsals for all productions take place 9 AM – 5 PM Monday-Saturday and tech is Friday/Saturday 10 AM-10 PM and Sunday 12 PM – 8 PM.
- Thumbelina and Zomo the Hip Hop Rabbit are in rep and rehearsals alternate every other day for these shows.
- Design process for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Zomo the Hip Hop Rabbit, and Thumbelina have already begun so the fellows selected for these shows will attend fewer design meetings.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Previous theatre or directing experience
- Self-starter with a strong personal drive to succeed
- Excellent writing, organizational, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to do research and learn new skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Honesty and integrity
- Clearance to work with minor children via Federal and State Background Check
Application Deadline: July 28, 2019. Please use our online application form to submit your application. You will be asked to submit a summary of your qualifications that best highlights your directorial experience. You may submit your materials by any means that you would like (letter, video, video letter, resume, portfolio, etc.) that best represents you and your work. Materials in Word or PDF format can be uploaded through the application form, but you may also mail, email or drop off your submission per the instructions on the form.
In addition, please respond to the following question in written format (Word or PDF) and upload your response via the application form.
PROMPT: What interests you about working with a director who is directing a production for Theatre for Young Audiences?