Vacancy – Clarinet – The U.S. Army Ceremonial Band
CLARINET, The U.S. Army Ceremonial Band
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 8, 2020
AUDITION DATE: June 22, 2020
The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own,” the U.S. Army’s premier musical organization, announces a vacancy for CLARINET in The U.S. Army Ceremonial Band.
Providing a musical backdrop for many of the nation’s most notable events, The U.S. Army Ceremonial Band has a worldwide reputation for extraordinary musicianship. The musicians in this elite ensemble have been trained at some of the most prestigious conservatories and universities in the country. The Ceremonial Band is comprised of 72 musicians whose principal function is the performance of funerals in Arlington National Cemetery and various other high-visibility ceremonial events in the National Capital region.
Ceremonial duties are primarily performed outdoors in ceremonial marching formations. The typical work schedule varies from day to day, but mainly consists of daytime work hours with an occasional night or weekend. There is some travel but it averages less than three weeks a year. Performances, in addition to those in Arlington National Cemetery, include White House and Pentagon arrival ceremonies, wreath laying ceremonies given in honor of visiting Heads of State and other dignitaries, and monthly military retirement ceremonies.
Ceremonial musicians substitute within other elements of The U.S. Army Band and have regular opportunities to perform on concerts, recitals and as soloists.
Military benefits include medical and dental care; 30-days paid vacation each year; permanent assignment to Fort Myer, and educational benefits such as military Tuition Assistance and the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill.
Annual starting salary for Staff Sergeant is $64,412 without dependents; $67,472 with dependents.
All applicants must have U.S. citizenship due to a security clearance requirement. All invited applicants will be given instructions to coordinate pre-screening with their regional Military Entrance Processing Station to ensure they meet entrance requirements for enlistment in The U.S. Army prior to attending the live audition. Individuals who are offered the position following the live audition must enlist and begin Basic Combat Training prior to their 35th birthday.
Auditions will be held at Brucker Hall, home of The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” at 400 McNair Road, Fort Myer, Virginia 22211-1306.
Travel expenses for civilians will be paid for by The U.S. Army pending enlistment qualification and funding approval. Military personnel should refer to their respective units to request travel funding. The audition will include the performance of prepared excerpts and sight-reading.
TO APPLY FOR THE VACANCY PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- One page resume including email address
- Full-length photograph
- Military applicants must also include their Enlisted Records Brief, or equivalent, a Commander’s letter of intent, and last 2 NCOERs if applicable
- A high quality, unedited audio recording of the following excerpts:
- Mozart- Clarinet Concerto Mvt 1, measure 57 to the downbeat of measure 98
- Brahms- Symphony No. 3 Mvt 2, beginning to the downbeat of measure 13
- Beethoven- Symphony No. 6 Mvt 2, measure 68 through measure 77
- Mendelssohn- Scherzo from “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”, beginning to the downbeat of measure 48
- Sousa- The Invincible Eagle March, first and second strains, take second endings
PREFERRED APPLICATION FILE FORMATS:
- PDF files for all documents, including photos
- Audio files should be recorded at a high sampling rate and saved in a format with minimal compression to better enhance sound quality
- if possible upload high quality audio files to a folder on Google Drive or Dropbox and share the link in your application email
- save each excerpt as a separate file unless specified otherwise in the vacancy posting
- ideally email all photos and documents as attachments in PDF format and then include the shared folder link to the audio files
- no ZIP files
All application materials must be submitted by April 8, 2020 electronically to the Auditions Coordinator, Sergeant First Class Timothy Sutfin.
An audition repertoire packet will be sent to those selected and invited to a live audition.
Applicants with questions or concerns regarding the CLARINET vacancy may contact: Sergeant First Class Timothy Sutfin.