The Collection Technician is responsible, under the guidance of the Senior Collection Technician, for the retrieval/return, in-house transport, packing/unpacking, and installation of the permanent collection and, when required, loan materials for storage, display, and transport. The Collection Technician is also responsible for scanning and other imaging of selected collection items. These duties are to be carried out in accordance with conservation standards in collaboration with conservation, curatorial, reading room, photographic rights and reproductions, registrar, and other service departments of the Morgan. This position reports to the Registrar.
The Morgan Library & Museum is committed to diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Morgan strongly encourages applicants with a demonstrated commitment to fostering diversity, inclusion, and gender equity in programming, outreach, hiring, and collection development.
- B.A. in art history, fine arts, liberal arts, or museum studies preferred.
- Minimum of one year of experience in a museum or research library handling art objects and/or rare collections.
- General knowledge of preventative conservation.
- Working knowledge of the types and uses of common wood-working tools and machines.
- Substantial skill with Microsoft Office applications, especially Word, Access, Excel and other collection management databases.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle numerous projects simultaneously under tight deadlines.
- Flexibility and the ability to work diplomatically with a diverse staff, private lenders, and staff of other institutions.
- Working knowledge of one European language desirable.
- New York driver’s license required.
- Good physical fitness is necessary; heavy pieces of artwork possibly in large, unwieldy packages must be loaded, unloaded, lifted and maneuvered around the museum; during arrival or shipment of a traveling exhibition, standing as well as physical effort are exerted for prolonged periods of time.
- Excellent eye/hand coordination in handling, installing, positioning, moving and manipulating tools and equipment as well as fine art objects and/or rare collection items.
- Ability to work at computer keyboard for extended periods as required.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods as required
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Interested applicants should e-mail cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to Human Resources at: email@example.com
Please note that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit our needs.
The Morgan is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, creed (religion), color, sex (including gender expression), national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, marital status or domestic violence victim status.