General Summary:????? The Commissary Keeper will prepare, deliver, store, and stock food, hay, supplies, purchased orders, and packages for all departments of the Zoo, as well as remove manure from all animal areas and keep the commissary areas clean and organized.
- Prepare and deliver food orders to each animal area in the Zoo on a daily basis;
- Prepare and deliver supplies, packages, purchased items, and mail to all departments of the Zoo as needed;
- Pick up packages and mail from other departments in the Zoo as needed;
- Thaw frozen food items using department protocols to ensure food quality;
- Operate manure removal equipment and remove manure from all animal manure collection areas;
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of all work and stock areas throughout the commissary complex;
- Accept, inspect, unload, date all deliveries;
- Help to maintain appropriate inventory and stock of food items and supplies;
- Travel to outside vendors to pick up orders and grocery items;
- Maintain a working knowledge of USDA and AZA standards and ensure that all commissary buildings and work areas are in compliance;
- Maintain a working knowledge of company safety policies, procedures, and protocols;
- Observe all rules of safety that pertain to the position, including use of personal protective equipment, safe vehicular use, safe use of large equipments and meat saws, and good lifting procedures;
- Perform regular quality assurance checks including testing of hay quality and monitoring of product freshness and checking expiration dates of stock on a regular basis;
- Perform general maintenance of Commissary buildings, equipment, and vehicles;
- Perform other duties as assigned; and,
- Adhere to all policies and procedures of the Zoo.
Communication (Internal and External):
- Utilize the phone, email, and radio to perform basic internal communications with other members of the Zoo staff;
- Communicate stock deficiencies, issues/problems with deliveries, and other concerns to Commissary manager; and,
- Communicate with other zoo staff regarding timeliness and completion of daily deliveries.
Management of Resources (financial, human resources, facilities):
- Accept, inspect, and appropriately stock all incoming deliveries; and,
- Complete daily logs and forms as required by department SOP.