The Madison Square Garden Company (MSG) is a world leader in live sports and entertainment experiences. The company presents or hosts a broad array of premier events in its diverse collection of iconic venues: New York’s Madison Square Garden, Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall and Beacon Theatre; the Forum in Inglewood, CA; and The Chicago Theatre. Other MSG properties include legendary sports franchises: the New York Knicks (NBA) and the New York Rangers (NHL); two development league teams – the Westchester Knicks (NBAGL) and the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL); and esports teams through Counter Logic Gaming, a leading North American esports organization, and Knicks Gaming, MSG’s NBA 2K League franchise. In addition, the Company features the popular original production – the Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes – and through Boston Calling Events, produces New England’s preeminent Boston Calling Music Festival. Also under the MSG umbrella is TAO Group Hospitality, a world-class hospitality group with globally-recognized entertainment, dining and nightlife brands including Tao, Marquee, Lavo, Avenue, Beauty & Essex and Cathédrale. More information is available at www.themadisonsquaregardencompany.com
This position requires an experienced, mature manager who can lead creative discussions in both strategic thinking and creative execution. The individual must be able to deal professionally with all levels of people including internal senior management, external members of the creative community and the marketing executives themselves. This person must be highly-skilled in both big picture strategic thinking as well as tactics and executions of marketing materials. It is also necessary for the candidate to have a background in and experience in copywriting.
Specific Functions/Activities Summary
- Supervises the creative direction of all internal MSGE activities.
- Offers creative leadership and authority across all touchpoints. Supports the Marketing Department by ensuring that creative materials are in synch with overarching brand strategy.
- Assist the SVP Executive Creative Director in developing unique creative projects challenge the status quo.
- Provides strong managerial, creative and strategic expertise in order to ensure all MSG brands and properties are receiving high-quality, on-budget professional service.
- Recruits and develops new relationships with external creative resources in order to help achieve core business objectives.
- 10+ years’ experience in fast-paced, creative environment, preferably in sports or entertainment or retail business channels, producing 100’s of creative assets simultaneously.
- 10+ years’ experience with strategic based creative development in an advertising agency or comparable environment. Thorough understanding of all aspects of print, video and new media design and production.
- Ability to identify and analyze new technologies and techniques to improve the quality or efficiency of production related to creative services.
- Eye for high-quality, brand appropriate creative.
- Background in copywriting/ creative direction
- Knowledge of the latest trends, technologies and creative resources in advertising, promotion, production and design.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills to meet the large output for projects.
- Strong knowledge of traditional and new media businesses and their economics.
- Ability to manage expenses against established budgets.
- Outstanding ability to identify, recruit and manage creative talent and assess their appropriateness for projects.
Educational requirements may differ from job to job based on the role.