The Alliance Theatre is committed to the equity, diversity, and inclusion in all areas of our work, including play selection, casting, marketing and public relations efforts, education programs, recruitment of staff and volunteers, and the composition of the Board of Directors.
The Alliance Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer organization. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, class, religion, country of origin, political belief, (dis)ability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any factor protected by law. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
As a member of the Theatre’s senior leadership team, the Director of Marketing and Communications will provide leadership and strategic direction for Alliance Theatre marketing and communications activity, including branding, content strategy, digital marketing, advertising, website, audience research, public relations, promotions and patron experience.
• This is a full-time position. Must be willing to work some weekends, evenings and early mornings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Direct strategic marketing campaigns to drive brand awareness, attendance and revenue for the Alliance Theatre’s productions and programs.
• Collaborate with senior leadership to develop marketing and communications strategies related to artistic programming, fundraising, education and community engagement.
• Work closely with the Director of Sales and Guest Services to forecast long-range and annual goals for single and season ticket and group sales revenue.
• Develop and implement annual integrated strategic marketing plan, which includes all activities related to generating ticket sales revenue and patron services.
• Manage annual budget for all marketing and communication expenses, personnel, compensation, and monitor overall implementation and progress of departmental plans.
• Steward the growth of the Alliance Theatre brand, collaborating with the Director of Sales and Guest Services and Woodruff Arts Center leadership to ensure alignment with mission and vision across all touchpoints in the audience journey.
• Communicate marketing, PR, and sales activity with Senior Staff, the Board Chair, the Board Marketing Committee, and Board Executive Committee.
• Serve as the staff liaison for the Board Marketing Committee.
• Collaborate with the Content Strategist, Data Services team and Director of Sales and Guest Services to optimize the online customer experience across all platforms.
• Develop and support cross-promotional partnerships with the Woodruff Arts Center and its arts partners (Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, High Museum of Art).
• Supervise the Content Strategist in development and execution of public relations plans that increase media coverage, elevate reputation and manage crisis communications.
• Develop strategies and plans with the Director of Development and Director of Education to ensure necessary promotional support toward the Alliance’s efforts in fundraising, special events, support group/committee activities, membership acquisition and donor recognition.
• Direct market and audience research to forecast trends, capture demographic / behavioral data, monitor perception of the Alliance brand and its productions/programs and evaluate progress against goals.
• Represent the Alliance at functions deemed appropriate by the Artistic Director and Managing Director.
• Collaborate with education and artistic teams to build audience development partnerships with community organizations that promote the Alliance’s mission.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree and 8-10 years of direct experience in Marketing, Advertising or a related field
• At least 5 years in a leadership role
• Knowledge of Tessitura or comparable CRM system is preferred
• Proven writing and organizational skills
Skills and Abilities:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Leadership – Exceptional leadership ability. Demonstrated leadership and ability to motivate a team within a matrixed organization, and able to deliver quantifiable results with a limited budget.
• Change Management -Develop scalable implementation plans; communicate changes effectively; build commitment and overcome resistance; prepare and support those affected by change; and monitor transition and evaluate results.
• Creativity – Generate creative solutions; translate concepts and information into images and copy; and use feedback to modify designs.
• Problem Solving – Identify and resolve issues in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully; develop alternative solutions; work well in group problem-solving situations; and use reason when dealing with emotional topics.
• Inclusive – Show respect and sensitivity for cultural differences and work well with a diverse group of managers, peers and subordinates.
• Strategic Thinking – Develop strategies to achieve organizational goals; identify external threats and opportunities; adapt strategy to changing conditions; and maintain appropriate balance of strategic creativity with a goal/process orientation.
• Adaptability –Thrive while working under pressure; adapt to changes in the work environment; manage competing demands; change approach or method to best fit the situation; and effectively deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Office work at a computer (option to sit or stand).
• Some standing, walking, bending, frequent use of hands, stooping and heavy lifting (at least 10 pounds).
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.