The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures will be the world’s premier institution dedicated to the art and science of movies. Located at Wilshire and Fairfax in Los Angeles, the Museum will be simultaneously immersive, experimental, educational, and entertaining. More than a museum, this dynamic film center will offer unparalleled experiences and insights into movies and moviemaking.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer of the Museum, the Director of Retail will be responsible for the strategic development, presentation and sale of merchandise, including the creation of exclusive products. The Director will oversee the operations of all distribution channels and further expand, build upon and develop e-commerce and other sales operations as well as manage all retail merchandising and on-site retail store operations. Supervise and ensures front-line staff provides excellent customer service to visitors at the Museum, and that they leave the Retail Store having had a pleasant visit.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrable entrepreneurial spirit with the proven ability to: plan, define, develop, source and deliver new products that exceed customer expectations; provide direction and support to merchandise assortment and brand development; work successfully with vendors, manufacturers, and factories; develop sourcing opportunities from current or future product lines; establish a network of companies and individuals that can support the need for high quality products at prices that provide value; successfully balance short and long-term product development plans within financial and budget constraints; provide exceptional financial, inventory and marketing management and oversight; successfully innovate, effectively negotiate and consistently self-motivate.
- Staffing: Supervise and coordinate duties of the Store Manager and other retail operations staff. In conjunction with Human Resources and Visitor Services Director, oversee personnel management for Store staff, including training and performance management.
- Budgeting and Reporting: Prepares, administers, and monitors performance against income and expense budget. Develop annual revenue and expense budget, including sales and gross margins by category. Prepare monthly financial reports for store sales.
- Education, Collaboration and Promotion: Develops retail events including book signings, in conjunction with the Education, Development and Marketing staff. Identify partnerships with AMPAS members, artists, and vendors for revenue generating opportunities.
- Buying: Negotiate licensing agreements. Coordinate vendor and consignor relationships select merchandise.
- Web Store: Work with Museum Interactives Manager on development, implementation, and promotion of sales and memberships.
- Inventory and Cash Management: Develop and implement cash handling procedures; assure the safekeeping of cash and other sales media within the Retail Store. Oversee annual physical inventory, inventory safeguarding, and maintenance of point of sales inventory system. Assure that store sales receipts are safeguarded, and quickly remitted to accounting for deposit. Assure that cash for change is safeguarded. Develop and implement controls for the safekeeping of inventory from loss or theft.
- Accounting: Submit completed requests for payment to accounting for inventory purchases, product development costs, and direct costs. Oversee input of inventory information into POS system. Verify that daily activity is accurately reported to accounting.
- Retail financial analysis ability required.
- Management experience required.
- Retail point-of-sale systems experience required.
- 5+ years of retail experience in a managerial role.
- Experience in product development and creating merchandising strategies.
- Knowledge in negotiating licensing agreements highly desirable.
- Should be creative, resourceful and self-motivated.
- Familiarity in the subjects of Film and Film History preferred.
- Experience working in a museum or store with similar merchandise lines preferred.
This position is currently accepting applications.