The daily functions of this position consist of but are not limited to: engaging and educating school groups, teachers and students about various sciences and STEM content with the use of demonstrations and hands-on activities in an informal setting. The Educator will deliver educational content in one or more of the following ways: classroom instruction on and off museum grounds, large capacity auditorium programming on and off museum grounds, and floor demonstrations. Educators will be expected to study curriculum and supplementary materials to gain proficiency in the sciences taught by the institution and improve upon existing content knowledge and teaching/presentation skills.
Responsible for teaching discovery labs, homeschool programs, offsite programs, facilitating educational groups in exhibits, break camp programs, summer camp programs, and overnights.
Responsible for delivering OSC curriculum and engaging students and guests in hands-on activities and demonstrations.
Demonstrates good communication skills, has the ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision, and demonstrates excellent customer service skills.
Comfortable speaking in front of audiences of all sizes, delivering science and STEM instruction to guests of all ages and has strong classroom management.
Demonstrates commitment to OSC’s vision, mission, and values.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Candidates should either be degree seeking or hold a Bachelor’s Degree in education, science, or a related field.
- Experience: Experience teaching informally or in a classroom.
- Certifications: Must hold a valid Florida Driver’s License.
- Experience in a museum or other informal education environment, and background in public speaking or performance preferred.
- Experience working with children and youth.
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods.
- This position requires ability to work in an active indoor and outdoor environment.
- Must be able to lift up to 45lbs.
Expected Hours of Work:
- Must be able to work flexible hours including early mornings, nights and weekends as necessary.
- Must have three days of weekday open availability with two of those days being Thursday and Friday.
- Day travel required. Most travel occurs in Central Florida region.