The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math.
MoMath is seeking creative, energetic individuals to join its staff as educators. The educator role offers the opportunity for a teacher with strong formal K-12 classroom teaching experience to participate in one of America’s major efforts in mathematical outreach to students, teachers, and the public.
This is a full-time permanent position based in New York City. It offers a full suite of benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Educators deliver a variety of MoMath programs, including:
- Field trip offerings for classes, camps, and other groups that visit the museum
- In-museum public demonstrations and group activities
- Mobile museum curricula, including educational outreach activities occurring in schools, community centers, public spaces, and other off-site venues
- Teacher professional development
- Internship programs
- After-school and weekend math clubs or enrichment programs
- Summer math camps and programs
- A minimum of one semester of formal K-12 classroom teaching experience is required; experience of at least one year is a strong plus. Candidates with longer experience, as well as candidates with state certification, are encouraged to apply.
- A strong mathematics background
- A record of successfully conveying the breadth, beauty, vitality, usefulness, and excitement of modern mathematics to diverse audiences
- Experience with and enthusiasm for working with groups of K-12 students on mathematical activities
- A love of communicating mathematical ideas at all levels of sophistication and understanding, especially in ways pitched to be meaningful to a broad public
- The demonstrated ability to manage a classroom and present a compelling, thought-provoking, and fun experience
To apply, please email the following to email@example.com with a subject line that includes “Educator (Full-time)” and your name: A cover letter that explains how you meet the qualifications for the position; a current résumé, including grade point averages; and a separate 150- to 500-word statement describing your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics.