San Diego Natural History Museum seeks a full-time professional for the position of Entomology Collection Manager/Collections Registrar. While traditional collection management experience is necessary, we also expect the successful applicant to be involved in some field biology, taxonomic research, collection digitization, and cross-departmental registrar duties.
Areas of responsibilities include:
- Maintenance, improvement, digitization, and use of the entomology collection.
- Computer entry, editing, and maintenance of department databases.
- Supervision of science volunteers, and project staff.
- Coordination of fieldwork and efficient specimen processing.
- Assist in departmental taxonomic research.
- Coordinates across departments to track and maintain registrar’s records
- In cooperation with curatorial and other collections staff, coordinates, updates, and maintains records for outgoing and incoming loan transactions and ensures regulation compliance.
- 4+ years of experience in collections care and terrestrial arthropod taxonomy.
- Skills in project management with an attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated experience in entomology.
- Demonstrated experience with collection management databases.
- Professional demeanor, reliable, punctual, and hardworking.
- Ability to learn processes, procedures, and information quickly.
- A minimum degree of M.A/M.S. in the life sciences.
Weekend and some evening availability is sometimes required. While the majority of work falls within the normal working day, field projects often extend through weekend and evening hours. This is a full-time, 40-hour per week position with benefits. Please email a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Ento Collection Manager Application.” Your cover letter should explicitly address your experience in collection management and cross-disciplinary teamwork. We will begin evaluating applications on January 13th, but the search will remain open until filled. No phone calls or drop-ins please.