The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math.
MoMath offers a broad variety of unique public events such as speaker series, performances, screenings, and family activities, and also hosts private events such as receptions, industry association affairs, and networking meetings. The Museum is seeking an events assistant to help organize these events and to serve as the primary point of contact for arrangements.
This is a full-time permanent position that offers a full suite of benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Calendar booked events, coordinate the resources needed for events, and ensure that all preparations for events occur in a timely fashion
- Assist during events, and aid in proper cleanup and reset of the venue
- Communicate closely with Museum floor staff to ensure events are manned, space is appropriately readied, and all needed resources are present
- Respond to phone and email inquiries concerning holding events in MoMath’s space
- Accompany potential clients on walkthroughs of the space
- Discuss terms of event rental contracts, finalize the contracts for all events booked by external parties, and invoice and follow up on events payments
- Duties of this position may extend to new business development (i.e., seeking new clients to hold events in the Museum).
- On occasion, the events assistant may be asked to assist with offsite events.
- Strong people skills, poise, energy, and enthusiasm
- Demonstrated record of excellent organization skills, attention to detail, and reliability
- Excellent problem-solving ability, and an unflappable capacity to think on your feet
- Polished oral and written communication skills, including the ability to write flawless professional correspondence
- Aptitude for working collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Passion for MoMath’s mission and a positive attitude towards mathematics
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Previous experience in customer service and/or hospitality is a strong plus
** Flexibility in scheduling, including the ability to work frequent evenings and occasional weekends, is essential.
To apply, please email the following to email@example.com with a subject line that includes “Events Assistant” and your name: A cover letter explaining how you meet the above criteria; a current résumé, including grade point averages; and a separate 150- to 500-word statement describing your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics.
- Resolving routine physical and electronic problems in the Museum’s exhibits
- Making repairs or performing needed maintenance to the Museum’s facility
- Assisting MoMath senior and technical staff to improve exhibits and make daily progress on outstanding exhibit and/or facility issues
- Transporting MoMath traveling exhibits to external locations (by minivan), and installing and troubleshooting them
- Monitoring exhibit and facility status daily, and logging and reviewing issues in MoMath’s tracking system
- Operating a laser cutter for various Museum fabrication needs (previous laser cutter experience is not a requirement)
- Sourcing and purchasing materials and equipment
- Maintaining exhibit maintenance repair and storage facilities in good order
- Communicating with fabricators and other partners and vendors as needed to speed resolution of outstanding issues
- Experience with diagnosing and resolving mechanical and electronic issues
- Experience building, repairing, refinishing, and being generally handy
- Competency with carpentry, finishing, and power tools
- A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record are required.
- The ability to lift 50 pounds is required.
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Systems administration experience, though not a requirement, would be useful.
To apply, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line that includes “Exhibit Technician/Assistant” and your name: A cover letter explaining how you meet the above criteria; a current résumé, including grade point averages; and a 150- to 500-word statement describing your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics.