Ignite your curiosity this summer—apply for the Exploratorium’s Welcome to Work Internship Program. The Exhibit Development Intern will work with various project teams in the Design and Development department, which produces assets and experiences that inspire visitors, empower educators, and contribute to our global impact. Largely a research, development, and production operation, Design and Development staff produce interactive exhibits, architectural elements, graphics collateral, and more, for our museum, local community, and partner organizations around the world.
About the Position
- Research other exhibitions and artworks to inform the project, contributing to a shared bank of ideas
- Observe visitor interactions with exhibit prototypes to inform improvements and changes
- Prototype different ideas on the floor and with team members
- Participate in the critical response feedback model for exhibit critiques
- Attend exhibit developer group meetings where relevant topics are discussed
- Gain appreciation for the details that go into producing informal learning experiences
You are seeking an opportunity to practice the skills you have been learning in an educational space. Skills you will bring and expand upon are:
- Interest in developing basic building skills and working in our machine shop
- Ability to work independently, seeking help or guidance as needed
- Comfort in interacting with visitors and conducting informal visitor studies
- Interest in working with a team of creative individuals with complementary roles
- Intellectual curiosity and appreciation of science learning
- You are currently studying museum studies, education, engineering, psychology, sociology, environmental science, art, industrial (product) design, or related subjects
About This Role
This is a temporary, part-time (28 hours per week), nonexempt position. Participants must be able to be physically present in San Francisco for the duration of the internship: June 15– August 15, 2020. Weekly schedule is flexible within the hours of 9:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m Monday–Friday. The position is eligible for benefits beginning August 1, 2020.
Completed applications are due Monday, February 24, 2020 (midnight PST). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Exploratorium is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity, inclusion and respect. We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.