The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math.
MoMath is seeking an experienced Exhibit Technician or Exhibit Assistant with a talent for mechanical and electronic maintenance, diagnostics, and troubleshooting to maintain the Museum’s various exhibits and facility in good working order. Many of the exhibits are highly complex interactives with integrated hardware, firmware, and software.
This is a full-time permanent position that offers a full suite of benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Resolving routine physical and electronic problems in the Museum’s exhibits
- Making repairs or performing needed maintenance to the Museum’s facility
- Assisting MoMath senior and technical staff to improve exhibits and make daily progress on outstanding exhibit and/or facility issues
- Transporting MoMath traveling exhibits to external locations (by minivan), and installing and troubleshooting them
- Monitoring exhibit and facility status daily, and logging and reviewing issues in MoMath’s tracking system
- Operating a laser cutter for various Museum fabrication needs (previous laser cutter experience is not a requirement)
- Sourcing and purchasing materials and equipment
- Maintaining exhibit maintenance repair and storage facilities in good order
- Communicating with fabricators and other partners and vendors as needed to speed resolution of outstanding issues
- Experience with diagnosing and resolving mechanical and electronic issues
- Experience building, repairing, refinishing, and being generally handy
- Competency with carpentry, finishing, and power tools
- A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record are required.
- The ability to lift 50 pounds is required.
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Systems administration experience, though not a requirement, would be useful.
To apply, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line that includes “Exhibit Technician/Assistant” and your name: A cover letter explaining how you meet the above criteria; a current résumé, including grade point averages; and a 150- to 500-word statement describing your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics.