The Exhibit Technology Specialist is responsible for the research, development and integration of electronics, audio/video, PC hardware and software for Orlando Science Center’s exhibit department. This position contributes to the design of new exhibits visitor interface as well as technology improvements to existing exhibits.
- Develops custom software for a variety of microcontrollers, including Arduino and Raspberry Pi, PC and specialty show control systems.
- Assists with audio/visual needs associated with exhibits, live programming and special events.
- Identifies and diagnoses chronic or systemic technology defects in individual exhibits which reduces their efficiency and reliability or compromises the intended function.
- Assists with the design of new exhibits, props, special projects & grants by making recommendations to the safe, efficient and effective use of technology.
- Demonstrates expertise in software and hardware computer systems including: Windows (XP – 10), OS X (v10.3 – 10.12), Linux.
- Documents all wiring diagrams, code and electronic components utilized in new exhibits.
- Assists exhibit technicians with repairs and serve as a knowledge base for the team.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: 3-5 years of relevant work experience.
Ideal candidate possesses an inventive spirit.
Demonstrates initiative to work without direct supervision.
Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
Ability to read complex blueprints, floor plans, and wiring diagrams.
Effective oral and written communication skills.
Good working knowledge and the ability to troubleshoot a computer, electronic, electrical, and audio/video systems as necessary.
Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
Ability to use a wide variety of hand and power tools.
Experience with interactive software such as Adobe Air, Flash and Director.
Ability to work in Auto CAD, Sketch Up, Inventor and Fusion 360.
Proficient in Microsoft Office.
Candidate must be responsible for the timely completion of assigned tasks and skilled in the use of a wide variety of hand and power tools.
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs.
- Must be able to work from aerial lifts, high platforms, and ladders at various heights.
Expected Hours of Work:
- This position primarily works Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Hours are subject to change to suit the needs of the organization. Nights and weekends as required.