The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures will be the world’s premier institution dedicated to the art and science of movies. Located on Wilshire and Fairfax in Los Angeles, the Museum will be simultaneously immersive, experimental, educational, and entertaining. More than a museum, this dynamic film center will offer unparalleled experiences and insights into movies and moviemaking.
The Exhibits department is responsible for the planning, design, and installation of the museum’s exhibitions, installations, and projects. Reporting to the Exhibition A/V Manager, the Exhibition A/V Preparator’s focus will be audiovisual support for museum exhibitions, including the installation and deinstallation of audiovisual equipment for Museum exhibitions. Audiovisual equipment includes digital projectors, 16mm and 35mm silent and sound motion picture projectors, flat screen displays, computers, amplifiers, speakers, media players, various mounting equipment, etc.
This is a part-time staff position beginning in June 2019. Work schedule will be seasonal with full-time hours.
- Install audiovisual equipment.
- Maintain audiovisual of all exhibitions and day-to-day operations.
- Pack and unpack audiovisual equipment.
- Manage technical aspects of audiovisual setups (including equipment and software).
- Maintain gallery and art storage spaces, keeping them clean and organized.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor degree in Film, Art, or related field. experience with audiovisual equipment in museums.
- At least 1 year of experience with audiovisual equipment in a museum or related environment.
- Working knowledge of hand power tools.
- Demonstrated experience working successfully in a team environment, performing rotating tasks while exercising discretion and sound independent judgment.
- Some experience with museum-level art handling practices and knowledge of archival materials and museum/gallery warehousing best practices preferred.
- Ability to work on an active construction site, including climbing and working on ladders, lifting and moving up to 35 lbs., and preforming intermittent physical activity (walking, standing, twisting, sitting, bending, and stooping).
- Must be comfortable with working around paints, cleansers and other similar products in a gallery environment as well as working in spaces that collect dust.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws , including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
The Academy Museum is committed to equal opportunity in employment and to creating, managing and valuing diversity in its workforce. Maintaining a diverse workforce is vital to the Academy Museum.
Accordingly, the Academy Museum enforces a strict policy that prohibits discrimination in hiring, training, compensation, promotion, transfer, or termination, whether on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or genetic information. This includes a workplace that is free of all forms of harassment. And, to help foster diversity, the Academy Museum utilizes programs that ensure fairness of opportunity, pay, and growth to all applicants and employees. Every employee of the Academy Museum is required to follow this policy and to preserve the Academy Museum’s commitment to diversity.
This position is currently accepting applications.