Ignite your curiosity this summer—apply for the Exploratorium’s Welcome to Work Internship Program. The Exhibition Design team creates immersive, hands-on 3-D exhibition environments using modeling software. The Exhibition Design intern will be embedded within the Exhibition Design department and work with various project teams in the Design and Development group.
About This Position
- Practice sharing your design skills with a creative team representing different disciplines to develop visual aides to improve communication and move ideas forward
- Apply 3-D design principles to exhibition spaces located at the Exploratorium and partner locations
- Build confidence in the use of tools in a shared shop space (such as laser cutters, drills, saws, etc.) as part of the model-development process.
You are seeking an opportunity to practice the skills you have been learning in an educational space. Skills you will bring and expand upon are:
- Proficiency with 3-D modeling in programs such as SketchUp or Rhino
- Concept sketching skills for both quick ideation as well as more complete presentation drawings
- CAD drawing in the form of plans and elevations (SketchUp and LayOut preferred)
- Confidence to participate in brainstorm and rapid ideation sessions
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Intellectual curiosity and commitment to continuous improvement
- Currently earning a degree in industrial design, architecture, interior architecture, or a related field
Hours and Benefits
This is a temporary, part-time (28 hours per week), nonexempt position. Participants must be able to be physically present in San Francisco for the duration of the internship: June 15– August 15, 2020. Weekly schedule is flexible within the hours of 9:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m Monday–Friday. The position is eligible for benefits beginning August 1, 2020.
Completed applications are due Monday, February 24, 2020 (midnight PST). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Exploratorium is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity, inclusion and respect. We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.