Reporting to the Director of Exhibition Design and Production, this position will work as an Exhibitions Installation Manager for all museum exhibition programs. Primary focus will be on preparation of install schedule and close coordination with collection departments and outside fabricator. This position oversees installation of exhibition galleries, and all prep teams. Position will implement art handling, storage, and installation strategies with equal consideration for conservation, aesthetics, safety, and stability issues.
This is a full-time staff position through December 2020.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees artworks installation of all exhibition programs.
- Develops master installation schedule for all exhibition programs.
- Maintains close coordination with Collection Department to understand display needs of each object including loaned works.
- Recruits prep staff and supervises them.
- Maintains close coordination with external fabricator(s) to understand external mounts preparation, delivery timetable and ensures that the art install schedule aligns with fabricator’s production schedule.
- Oversees Chief Preparator and ensures inhouse framing of over 500 artworks are on schedule and delivered to site on time.
- Oversees mock-up preparation and coordination with onsite general contractor for smooth delivery of materials and preparation.
- Ensures safe handling and transport of all artifacts and exhibition materials through careful unpacking and packing with appropriate materials to prevent damage during transit and storage.
- Works with exhibitions and collections staff to determine appropriate mounting techniques and select or create mounts for 2-D and 3-D objects such as costumes, musical instruments, manuscripts, etc.
- Works as a lead art installer onsite.
- Inspects galleries daily for cleanliness and for proper functioning of A/V equipment and computer interactives. Coordinates with other museum departments to maintain gallery spaces, including reporting issues to proper departments for resolution and dusting/cleaning of exhibit cases.
- Assists AV manager and/or outside vendors to quickly resolve any tech issues.
- Assists collections staff with documentation and description of artifacts through photography and written condition reports.
- General collections care, such as monitoring of environmental conditions and practicing preventative conservation in collections storage areas.
- Assists with framing, packing, and unpacking of works of art for transport using established methods and materials.
- Assists with the maintenance of art storage spaces; vacuum and dust art storage room and furniture; add or replace materials, as needed, to protect or support works while in storage.
- Performs duties as requested and/or required and according to a schedule that might rotate or change to accommodate work demands or staffing variations.
- Assists with set-up and installation of one-night special events organized by different departments within the Academy.
- Assists with the installation of exhibitions in the Academy Film Archive and the Margaret Herrick Library.
- Maintains art installation budgets.
- Maintains supplies, inventory and expands upon the areas related to exhibition install and production.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Arts, or related degree.
- Ten years of related work experience in the art field.
- Experience with exhibit lighting, working with object and/or painting conservators, and utilizing workflow ergonomics and safety practices.
- Proficiency in Excel and Filemaker Pro. Working knowledge of CAD preferred.
- Experience in installation of large-scale exhibitions with artworks total exceeding 500 works.
- Experience in recruiting and managing large team members.
- Knowledge of museum-level art handling practices, archival preservation materials, and museum/gallery warehousing best practices.
- Prior experience using a variety of hand tools with extreme accuracy.
- Previous experience working in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a high level of attention to accuracy and detail; demonstrated ability to work without close supervision and to communicate problems clearly to supervisor.
- Demonstrated experience working successfully in an active team environment, performing rotating tasks while exercising discretion and sound independent judgment.
- Prior experience or willingness to be trained on and utilize OSHA approved safety equipment such as respirators and protective clothing.
- Some experience with A/V equipment, interactive displays, and digital technology preferred.
- Ability to climb and work on ladders, perform intermittent physical activity (walking, standing, twisting, sitting, bending, stooping), and lift/move up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work in an active construction site and in a gallery environment with paints, cleansers and other similar products as well as in spaces that collect dust.
- Must be able to work a flexible 40-hr./week schedule including some weekends, evenings and holidays.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws , including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
The Academy Museum is committed to equal opportunity in employment and to creating, managing and valuing diversity in its workforce. Maintaining a diverse workforce is vital to the Academy Museum.
Accordingly, the Academy Museum enforces a strict policy that prohibits discrimination in hiring, training, compensation, promotion, transfer, or termination, whether on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or genetic information. This includes a workplace that is free of all forms of harassment. And, to help foster diversity, the Academy Museum utilizes programs that ensure fairness of opportunity, pay, and growth to all applicants and employees. Every employee of the Academy Museum is required to follow this policy and to preserve the Academy Museum’s commitment to diversity.
This position is currently accepting applications.