Facilitators are primarily responsible for facilitating Orlando Science Center’s exhibit halls by answering questions, narrating on the microphone, leading activities and being interactive and engaging. This individual should passionately embrace and communicate the mission of Orlando Science Center – “Inspire Science Learning for Life” to Science Center guests. Facilitators will be responsible for delivering exemplary customer service and be able to effectively communicate science concepts and topics through science demonstrations and activities. Ideal candidates will be comfortable working with diverse audiences and passionate about working with children ages 6-12.
- The candidate should be comfortable approaching guests and speaking in front of a large audience.
- Comfortable with discussing all branches of science.
- Comfortable with being on stage, being on camera, explosives, dissection, working with live animals, chemicals, electricity, laboratory equipment, and wearing costumes.
- Standing/walking for long periods of time.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience working in museums or in an informal education setting is preferred.
- Experience performing improv and/or theater background is preferred.
- Crafting/maker skills including experience with any of the following: woodworking, 3D printing, computer design, textiles, paper crafting, leather working, basic tools, soldering.
- Occasionally this position may be responsible for leading teams of staff and volunteers by providing information on how to perform simple tasks like running hands-on activities or crowd control.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Ability to push/pull up to 45 lbs.
- Ability to stand/walk for long periods of time.
Expected Hours of Work:
- Must be able to work 20 hours/week and be regularly scheduled for shifts requiring a combination of weekday, weekend and/or evening hours.
- Travel is rare but may be needed for facilitating offsite programs.