The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math.
MoMath is seeking a financial manager as the Museum plans for expansion of its staff, facilities, and budget. This role will have ownership of the Museum’s accounting function and will be responsible for managing and reporting its financial activities. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced nonprofit accountant to make an impact on the growth of the institution.
This position is based in New York City and offers a full suite of benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the organization’s principal accountant and ensure compliance with GAAP standards and regulatory requirements for accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures
- Coordinate the annual audit process and act as point of contact for external auditors
- Prepare and issue financial reports and statements, including monthly closing, quarterly, and year-end reporting, in an accurate and timely manner
- Provide senior leadership data and materials for presentation to the Board of Trustees
- Ensure that expenditures are consistent with grant proposals and program budgets; produce financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants, as necessary
- Monitor purchasing activity across departments to ensure that purchasing policies and practices are followed
- Provide cost-benefit and other financial analyses for business development opportunities and new initiatives
- Work closely with program leaders to explore how the finance function can support and promote program efforts
- 7+ years of accounting and audit experience, with expertise in accounting for nonprofit organizations; CPA is desirable
- A record of success coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budgetary analysis, A/P and A/R, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
- Experience in a rapid growth or startup environment is a strong plus
To apply, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line that includes “Financial Manager” and your name: A cover letter explaining how you meet the above criteria; a current résumé, including grade point averages; and a 150- to 500-word statement describing your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics.