The Guest Services Associate is a multi-department position responsible for providing exceptional visitor service and completing sales of entrance tickets, memberships or gift shop merchandise in accordance with established department and museum standards. This position is the first point of contact for visitors, members and customers, and may be assigned to stations in either the store, membership sales, or ticketing & guest support. Staff in these positions must be friendly, approachable, and knowledgeable about the museum. This position is focused on meeting and exceeding the expectations of guests and members, and is a significant contributor to an exceptional museum experience. This position reports to the Frontline Managers, and is part of the Business Development group.
- Provide excellent guest service and work within given authority to go above and beyond expectations; meet or exceed service targets.
- Greet and assist all museum guests; effectively handle questions, sales, service, and payments for a multitude of museum programs, third party products, and/or memberships in accordance with established museum policies and procedures.
- Effectively operate ticketing and sales systems in accordance with established procedures.
- Use initiative and enthusiasm to create exceptional guest experiences.
- Build sales using various techniques such as add-ons, substitutions, and active listening.
- Maintain integrity of assigned areas by following loss prevention techniques and standards and prevent unpaid entry at established access points.
- Maintain appearance and functionality of assigned area: store merchandise, membership materials, guest queues, ticketing areas, and related spaces.
- Be knowledgeable about the museum, its history, programs, and special events and effectively communicate this information to guests.
- Assist guests in assigned areas with the purchase of merchandise, memberships and tickets.
- Answer requests for information by phone, electronically and in person and troubleshoot technical issues and perform routine office tasks as needed.
- Facilitate internal communication, as needed, with critical support departments: Operations, Custodians, “It” Person, First Aid, etc.
- Provide assistance to guests who have been separated from their party, provide back-up to other floor staff to reunite lost visitors and for basic First Aid for minor injuries, and coordinate wheelchair loans to museum visitors.
- Ability to work nights and weekends and extended schedules during peak periods
- Able to move from place to place which may include standing and/or walking for extended periods of time; lift and carry up to 75 pounds short distances
- Perform additional duties as required.
- Six months customer service, cashier and/or customer service experience required.
- High School Diploma or GED certificate
- Math and English proficiency required
- Bilingual skills highly desirable
- Weekend, evening, holiday hours and occasional extended shifts required
- Demonstrated commitment to providing exceptional customer service; service oriented with a guests come first mentality.
- Possesses a friendly, outgoing, positive and enthusiastic attitude.
- Ability to be professional and courteous with general public, educational community, museum staff, and professional guests; comfortable interacting with senior management, high level donors, and all other members of our diverse community.
- Able to exercise good judgment while working independently and collaboratively; works well in a team environment.
- Able to work in a noisy and sometimes chaotic environment and be flexible under a variety of circumstances.
- Reliable and a self-starter; person with initiative.
- Punctual, neat and accurate in work habits; precise and detail-oriented.
- Excellent telephone, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Computer proficiency required; Excel experience preferred.
- Able to move from place to place which may include standing and/or walking for extended periods of time; lift and carry up to 75 pounds short distances.
- Able to use general office equipment and perform standard office functions, such as filing, faxing, and copying.
This position is open until filled
HOW TO APPLY
This is a regular,part-time (20 hours per week), non-exempt, union position that includes benefits. Please, no phone calls in regards to this job. To apply, please visit the Exploratorium job page.
The Exploratorium is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.