The Guest Services Associate provides outstanding customer service throughout the museum to all guests and members. This includes admission and membership-related activities, greeting guests at ticketed museum venues, serving as a resource for guest and member questions, and being a museum ambassador whose goal it is to exceed the guest’s expectations during a visit. Associates perform these functions at a variety of locations including the museum’s three entrance lobbies, the Frank Lloyd Wright house, temporary exhibition locations, and at special events. This role includes evening and weekend hours on a regular basis and some work staffing the museum’s outdoor venues.
Principal Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Provide excellent customer service to all members, guests and colleagues at Guest Service locations throughout the museum, including our outdoor venues. This role includes evening and weekend hours.
- Interact directly with guests and members at locations throughout the museum to process their admissions, sell and renew memberships, answer questions, and serve as a resource during their visit
- Relay information to members and guests about current and future exhibitions, events, programs and museum amenities
- Become proficient with the Tessitura software program, N-Scan ticket scanners, and TRBO admission tablets used for ticketing and tracking of guest information
- Accurately and efficiently conduct transactions at Guest Services locations for museum admission, programs, events and/or memberships
- Assist guests with visit and ticket options and suggest suitable solutions
- Keep informed on new and current information regarding museum offerings, products, policies, as well as software and ticketing systems
- Balance individual (own) cash drawer at the end of each shift and follow cash handling procedures at all times to ensure accurate accounting of all revenue
- Assist Guest Services Manager to research and successfully resolve guest service issues
- Maintain an organized appearance of all Guest Services locations and ensure that all materials and information displayed are current and well stocked
- Assist with Guest Services oriented tasks during special events, previews and at other times as requested
- Attend all necessary staff meetings and communicate concerns as well as solutions to problems
- Follow the Guest Services dress code in order to be identified as a staff member
- Complete all other duties as assigned within the scope of responsibility and skills required for the job
Education, Training, and Traits:
- High School Diploma or GED and similar experience required; Associate’s degree from an accredited institute of higher learning preferred
- Enthusiasm about being a team member at a new major art museum with a strong visitor-centered community dynamic
- Excellent attendance and punctuality. This role includes evening and weekend hours.
- Ability to be patient and flexible while also staying energized and focused on providing excellent customer service
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to be a team player
- Ability to use good judgment
- Ability to recognize customer service concerns and address professionally
- Good command of general computer applications and basic math skills
- Minimum two years of experience in customer service or related industry preferred
- Prior experience working with computerized cash register system and ability to accurately balance a cash drawer preferred
Licenses and Certifications:
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: In the work environment described below, position requires ability to communicate with others. Position requires utilizing a computer for prolonged periods of time and good eye/hand coordination. Able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends. Vision abilities required by the job include close vision.
- Work Environment: The majority of work will be performed in the museum lobby environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.