The pre-eminent expression of lifelong learning in the United States, Chautauqua Institution comes alive each summer with a unique mix of fine and performing arts, lectures, interfaith worship and programs, and recreational activities. Over the course of nine weeks, more than 100,000 people visit Chautauqua and participate in programs, classes and community events for all ages — all within the beautiful setting of a historic lakeside village. As a community, we celebrate, encourage and study the arts and treat them as integral to all of learning, and we convene the critical conversations of the day to advance understanding through civil dialogue.
The Special Events Server is responsible for accommodating all guests during a special events function. Anticipating the needs of the guests and responding politely to their requests are common required tasks. It is imperative that the server have excellent verbal communication skills, has a positive-energetic attitude and is neat in appearance. Full and part-time hours available, pre and post season hours available.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Set up and tear down of any event
- have a thorough knowledge of both the food and beverage
- have excellent interpersonal communication skills and good command of appropriate hospitality language
- Ability to carry trays, serve guests, oversee and restock buffets
- Occasionally prepare food, transport items to catered events, set tables, clear/bus tables
- have a basic understanding of the Athenaeum Hotel’s history and activities and services within Chautauqua Institution
- All other duties as assigned, a banquet server’s duties can vary based on the situation Maintain flexible hours to accommodate guest and special events needs, due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry.
- Maintain flexible hours to accommodate guest and special events needs, due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry
Physical Demands/Work Environment the physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Standing and walking are constant conditions
- Frequent handling of objects, reaching, maneuvering and continually positioning of oneself to perform assigned tasks
- Ability to physically grasp and transport items up to 20 pounds, including kitchen supplies and dishware
- Required flexibility to work evenings, weekends and holidays required and willingness to flex up or down in scheduled work hours (based on business need).
- Minimum age 17
- Food service experience; restaurant table service preferred
- Must be cleanly and hygienic
- Must have affective communication skills to appropriately communicate with front of house leadership