The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) is seeking an experienced, highly skilled and responsive individual to join the Building and Grounds Department as an HVAC Technician II / Chiller and Cooling Towers.
Join the museum and enjoy these employee benefits:
- Health benefits (medical, dental, and vision plans)
- Paid holidays (12 days)
- Best Café, Amuse Restaurant and VMFA Shop discounts
- Free admission to VMFA special exhibitions
- Employee pricing for select museum programs and classes
- Uniforms, safety shoes, PPE and tools provided at no cost to employee
This is a non-exempt position, eligible for time and a half for any hours physically worked over 40 in a work week (Sunday – Saturday). This position is also eligible for a sign-on bonus up to $2,000.
The HVAC Technician II /Chiller and Cooling Towers is responsible for supporting the daily operations of the buildings located on the Museum’s campus by providing troubleshooting and maintenance for a wide variety of air conditioning, refrigeration, heating, and ventilation equipment, 24-hours, 365-days a year.
This position ensures a stable museum environment with strict parameters of temperature and humidity levels by using specialized skills and a computer-based building automation system. With on-call responsibilities, this role is the first responder to issues or emergencies that occur after business hours that may potentially disrupt museum operations. The work of the HVAC Technician II / Chiller and Cooling Towers protects, staff, patrons and the museum’s art collections.
- Performs on call duties on a rotational basis from a minimum of every four weeks to a maximum of every eight weeks.
- Required to call the security console within 10 minutes or less from first contact when on-call. Required to report to the museum within 45 minutes or less after contact by security console.
- Operating and maintaining the chill water plant for the museum.
- Performs preventive and corrective maintenance repairs on various types of HVAC and plumbing systems.
- Acts as on-site coordinator with contractors to correct issues when needed.
- Make emergency repairs after normal business hours, when required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- EPA Certification for refrigerant handling (CFC Card) is required.
- Valid Virginia Driver’s License is required.
- HVAC Journeyman license or equivalent field experience with the expectation to obtain license within one (1) year of employment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, inclusive of nights, weekends, holidays and have on-call availability should emergency matters occur during overnight hours.
- Considerable knowledge of various types of heating, air conditioning and ventilation equipment, centrifugal chillers, low pressure steam boilers, and support equipment.
- Extensive knowledge of chilled water plants to include chillers, associated pumps, and cooling towers and other relevant equipment.
- Ability to operate the chilled water plant through a Siemens Technology demand flow program with the building automation system.
- Demonstrated knowledge of temperature and humidity control and computerized building automation systems.
- Experience in the use of HVAC diagnostic equipment and tools.
- Ability to make decisions on repairs and provide information to the Senior Building and Grounds/HVAC Manager concerning repairs and maintenance.
- Ability to trouble shoot air conditioning, refrigeration, heating, and ventilation equipment issues and repairs with minor assistance.
- Ability to work independently with minimum to no supervision.
- Certificate of completion from an accredited school in an Air Conditioning and Refrigeration program.
- Considerable specialty work experience in the field of commercial/industrial heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration.
- Master HVAC license.
- Selected candidates must pass a criminal history background check.
- As Designated / Essential Staff, this position may be required to perform other duties related to security, safety and health as assigned (i.e. training).
- As Designated / Essential Staff, this position may be required to assist the museum or state government during inclement weather or in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor or the Director of the Museum.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Interested individuals must submit an online application. This position is open until filled.
Please contact the HR office at (804) 340-1485 if you need assistance. Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is an EEO/AA, Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer.
Click here to apply for this position: