The Juilliard School (Juilliard) is a world renowned, global performing arts conservatory and institution of higher learning located on the campus of Lincoln Center in New York and in Tianjin, China.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer of the Tianjin Juilliard School (TJS) and with a dotted line into the Office of the General Counsel in New York, Tianjin Juilliard’s Legal Counsel will provide legal support and services for each department in China. The preferred candidate must be able to work independently and balance multiple priorities, while responding quickly to departments’ demands and the school’s operating needs. The Legal Counsel must be able to work in a challenging and dynamic work environment. We are looking for a talented legal professional with drive and determination to join our team, thereby ensuring the short- and long-term success of the school.
• Advise on a broad range of legal and regulatory matters with respect to ongoing school activies.
• Deal with contract review requests, negotiate engagement letters and other legal issues with suppliers or other parties.
• Advise on and implement preventive legal measures and assess potential risk in situations where there might be alternative interpretations.
• Update or simplify the standard contract templates according to the changes in PRC laws, regulations and policies.
• Support the design of the legal and business structure of innovative projects with creativity as well as solid legal knowledge.
• Work together with the NY legal team to provide legal support regarding HR policies, labor contracts and work relationship disputes.
• Work together with the NY legal team to provide legal advice on copyright, digital branding, and image rights issues.
• Assist in trainings relevant to legal knowledge and risk prevention.
• Manage external counsel to address specific and discrete legal issues.
• Other issues in relation to legal risk management.
• Provide advice, direction and representation on procedural and substantive matters involving student academic and non-academic discipline. Assist in the resolution of disputes and represent the School in student appeals.
• Qualification in the PRC with solid working knowledge of PRC laws in commercial, educational and labor legal fields.
• A Bachelor’s degree of law from a top-ranked Law School in the PRC is required. A Master’s degree of law is preferred.
• Native Mandarin speaker, plus fluency in English.
• Overseas education and/or work experience preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience with a top-tier international law firm or top multinational company, joint venture university.
• Strong command of relevant laws and regulations, but with an ability to make these laws and regulations understandable and actionable for colleagues.
• Ability to lead, manage and prioritize multiple projects with multiple teams simultaneously.
• Ability to identify issues and propose and implement practical solutions quickly.
• Strong communication, writing, presentation and organizational skills.
• Desire to work independently and cross-functionally in a fast-paced and fast-changing environment.
• A creative problem solver who is open to new ideas and new approaches.