The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) is seeking 2 customer service oriented library reference services assistants to staff the reference desk in the public reading room of the Margaret R. & Robert M. Freeman Library. The reference assistant serves as the first point of contact for reference queries received by the library.
This is a non-exempt position without benefits, scheduled to work up to approximately 28 hours per week on average and up to 1,450 hours annually (May 1 – April 30). This position offers various Commonwealth of Virginia employee benefits such as free admission to special exhibitions, previews of special exhibitions, employee pricing for select museum programs and classes, as well as discounts in Amuse Restaurant, the Best Café and the VMFA shop.
- Staffs the reference desk as scheduled between the hours of 10-5 Monday-Friday and for special events or weekend appointments as needed.
- Responds to requests for information or materials in a timely manner, and/or refers requests to librarians as appropriate.
- Provides guidance and instruction on the proper use of all library resources, online catalogs, research databases, electronic resources, computers, copiers, and other equipment.
- Monitors reference room activities.
- Adheres to best practices for use, handling, care, storage and maintenance of collections.
- Manages internal circulation and storage of library resources.
- Conducts research for patrons and museum staff as requested.
- Maintains and reports statistics on library and resource usage.
- Works on special projects as assigned.
- Experience in a public service role involving effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working with online databases, library catalogues and other electronic resources.
- Ability to work well with others as part of the library team in order to provide quality reference services.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds and stand for extended periods.
- Undergraduate coursework in art history involving instruction in research methods.
- At least one year of experience working in an academic or museum library setting.
- Undergraduate degree in art history or similar humanities discipline and/or coursework in library and information science.
Selected candidates must pass a criminal history background check.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Online applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on December 17th, 2019.
Please contact the HR office at (804) 340-1485 if you need assistance. Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is an EEO/AA, Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer.
Click here to apply for this position: