The San Diego Natural History Museum is seeking enthusiastic and friendly part time Line/Prep Cooks to assist the Kitchen Supervisor at our Cafe. The Line/Prep Cook provides support to the Kitchen Supervisor in a fast-paced, educational and entertaining environment. The ideal candidates will be comfortable shifting roles and responsibilities throughout the day while continually maintaining a pleasant and professional demeanor.
This position requires Saturday and Sunday availability. Holidays and some evenings are required. The San Diego Natural History Museum is open daily, except for Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
- Prepares food according to the instructed recipes
- Packages and labels food items for sale
- Follows food prep list created by Kitchen Supervisor
- Labels and stocks all ingredients on shelves so they can be organized and easily accessible
- Undertakes basic cooking duties such as reducing sauces, parboiling food etc.
- Maintains a clean and orderly kitchen by washing dishes, sanitizing surfaces, taking out trash etc.
- Keeps work station clean during shift
- Conducts back-of-house opening and closing tasks as required
- Must have experience on all stations (Line, Sauté, Fry, Grill, etc.)
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must possess valid food handler certification
- 2+ years’ experience as line/prep cook
- Professional demeanor, reliable, and hardworking
- Patient with an ability to stay positive under pressure
- Must be able stand for long periods of time and communicate verbally for the majority of each shift
- Ability to learn processes, procedures and information quickly
- Strong comprehension of recipes, intermediate knife and kitchen equipment skills
- Proven cooking experience, including experience as a line chef, restaurant cook or prep cook
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls or drop-ins please.