The pre-eminent expression of lifelong learning in the United States, Chautauqua Institution comes alive each summer with a unique mix of fine and performing arts, lectures, interfaith worship and programs, and recreational activities. Over the course of nine weeks, more than 100,000 people visit Chautauqua and participate in programs, classes and community events for all ages — all within the beautiful setting of a historic lakeside village. As a community, we celebrate, encourage and study the arts and treat them as integral to all of learning, and we convene the critical conversations of the day to advance understanding through civil dialogue.
If you want to be a part of a conscientious and fun team that takes pride in its work and contributes to the overall Chautauqua guest experience, this may be the right opportunity for you. Housekeepers’ typically work 40 hours per workweek. Hours may vary to cover weekend and other Chautauqua event needs. Responsible for opening and closing seasonal buildings; cleaning all dorm rooms, Chautauqua Institution facilities and public restrooms.
- Maintain all assigned areas in a clean and sanitary condition;
- Wash, dust, polish, vacuum and sweep all areas of the establishment;
- Clean sinks, tubs, showers and toilets according to prescribed sanitary standards;
- Polish fittings and fixtures;
- Clean mirrors and windows;
- Empty and clean trash cans;
- Ensure adequate stock of cleaning supplies;
- Keep cleaning equipment in good working order;
- Maintain neat, clean and safe storage area for equipment/supplies;
- Observe and report any maintenance needs or repairs;
- Serve as an “ambassador” to Chautauqua Institution while in the public eye.
- Must be at least 18 years of age with a valid driver’s license;
- Must be open to taking direction and adhering to work safety, sanitary standards, and all other policies and procedures;
- Effective communication skills;
- Able to work conscientiously and independently;
- Display honesty and integrity;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Maintain a positive attitude towards residents, guests, and visitors.
- Able to lift, push/pull and carry at least 25 lbs. without mechanical assistance
- Regular standing, bending, stooping, squatting, and kneeling while performing job duties;
- Able to work in tight spaces and tolerate dust and cleaning materials.