Job purpose: To provide Administrative support to the Orchestra.
Duties and responsibilities
- Estimate Ballet West Orchestra budgets for upcoming seasons in coordination with Ballet West staff
- Determine instrumentation and doubling for all productions in future and current seasons, in coordination with Music Director
- Distribute season schedules and updates to Ballet West Orchestra
- Create and distribute pit plot and seating charts for each program involving the Ballet West Orchestra
- Oversee pit set up
- Attend production meetings as needed
- Hire additional players beyond the Ballet West Orchestra
- Process “onboarding” for any new musicians, in coordination with Ballet West staff
- Maintain a list of substitute players and replace musicians due to unforeseen absence or scheduled vacancies
- Keep attendance of each musician’s services, including any hired choirs
- Distribute ticket vouchers to Ballet West Orchestra
- Attend all performances involving the Ballet West Orchestra or provide a designated representative.
- Field complaints from musicians, in coordination with Music Director
- Add payroll on Paylocity and send spreadsheet to Ballet West Accounting, including wages, benefits, work dues, etc.
- Coordinate national media scales with Ballet West Staff, Local 104, and the American Federation of Music offices in New York
- Schedule and coordinate auditions, in coordination with Music Director
- Music education
- Knowledge of local players
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to deal with complex problems
- Punctual, especially to performances and rehearsals
- Experience working as an orchestra contractor preferred
Working conditions: Some evening and weekend work, including irregular schedules. Presence may be requested to attend meetings concerning player behavior or performance. Walking in and out of theatre pits.
Physical requirements: May be asked to help lift chairs or music stands.
Direct reports: Musicians will report to the personnel manager or the music director, depending on the circumstance.