The Department of Paleontology at the San Diego Natural History Museum has openings for paleontological field monitors. These positions are part time, as needed. All work is funded through contracts.
The San Diego Natural History Museum is run and operated by the San Diego Society of Natural History, a private non-profit scientific organization incorporated in 1874. The Museum’s mission is to interpret the natural world through research, education and exhibits; to promote understanding of the evolution and diversity of southern California and the peninsula of Baja California; and to inspire in all a respect for nature and the environment.
Within the Museum, the Department of PaleoServices specializes in paleontological resource management. Our focus is on the recognition, recovery, and preservation of the significant and unique paleontological resources that occur in this region.
- Field monitoring of active mass grading, trenching, and other excavation activities into potentially fossil-bearing sedimentary rocks (Cenozoic and upper Mesozoic marine and/or non-marine rock units) in the southern California region.
- Field monitors will work in close proximity to heavy equipment and be expected to work safely, to collect unearthed fossils, and to record relevant stratigraphic and taphonomic data.
- Opportunities for field survey work and fossil preparation are also possible.
- Scheduled work hours are typically between the hours of 7 am to 3 pm Monday through Friday; however, work may also occur at night or on weekends.
- A minimum of a B.S. in Geology or a related discipline with an emphasis in paleontology.
- Experience in field paleontology and stratigraphy is preferred.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs
- Have a valid Driver’s License and a clean driving record.
For general information about our paleontology mitigation program, please visit http://www.paleoservices.org
Start date: 1 November 2019
Please submit resumes and cover letter including salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.