The California Academy of Sciences is looking for a Photographer to photograph striking visual assets for all Academy uses, including the website, exhibits, collateral and promotions; and assist in the operations and management of the BigPicture Photography Competition. This is a 32-40/hr week opportunity for an energetic, highly-organized, photographer to get involved in developing and organizing visuals for a forward-looking science museum.
The California Academy of Sciences welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities, and beliefs to join us in achieving our mission to explore, explain, and sustain life. We place diversity, equity, and inclusion at the heart of our recruiting efforts and strive to build a culture centered on mutual respect, equal treatment, and the opportunity to succeed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Photograph animals, people, exhibits, and specimens on the public floor or in the Academy studio
- Develop unique photographic assets in conjunction with Brand Evolution project
- Support exhibit development with the creation of photographic imagery
- Document exhibits, banners and key Academy events for Academy website and other uses
- Support the BigPicture Competition in managing submissions and correspondence with photographers
- Research images from Academy asset collections or external photographers or stock agencies
- Retouch, rework and resize high resolution images for a variety of output formats
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required or preferred.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
A qualified candidate will possess a combination of the following education or equivalent combination of education and experience to succeed in this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in art, design, science or related field
- Three years’ experience in related professional situation
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Photography: ability to photograph people (and animals) in various situations
- Lighting and studio set-up: knowledge of photography studio lighting set-up for portraits and still-lives
- Conceptualization: developing ideas for photo shoots to represent thematic ideas
- Visual editing: selecting great images that fuse content and aesthetics
- Retouching: edit and manipulate images for desired results
- Software: proficiency in Photoshop and preparing images for web and print
- Knowledge of limitations and requirements for displaying images on all types of devices (mobile, retina, etc).
- Asset management: experience managing imagery via CMS
- Organization: building archive of images and their metadata
- Photo Rights: ensuring copyright, licenses and permissions (whether free or paid)
- Research: knowledge of natural world image sources from online image sites and stock photo libraries
- Collaboration: liaising closely with Academy staff in various departments
A plus if you:
- Have sophisticated and modern visual aesthetic
- Are very organized, responsible and resourceful
- Are detail-oriented and work well in a fast-paced environment
- Are a team player with good interpersonal skills
- Have a sense of humor
- Are a strong communicator
- Have strong interest in science and the natural world
- Are aligned with the mission of the Academy
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals. Bilingual (spoken and/or written) in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, or other non-English language preferred but not necessary.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, and reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 50% of the time. Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
Please submit your cover letter and resume online at https://calacademy.snaphire.com Note that the recruitment timeline for positions vary and depend on many factors, so it is impossible to accurately predict when a position will close. We appreciate your patience during this process. No phone calls please.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
The California Academy of Sciences is a non-smoking facility. There is also no smoking in Golden Gate Park.