The Exhibition Preparator will develop models and dioramas for exhibitions and reviews work in progress with Curators, Scientists, Consultants, Designers, etc.
The Preparator will produce mock-ups, build, sculpt, mold, cast, assemble, paint, mount, install, etc. models, dioramas, object mounts, murals, and display casework for display in Museum exhibits. Prepare specimens, artifacts, and other Museum objects for display.
The Preparator will clean-up the Exhibition production shop, galleries, and related spaces. Perform routine maintenance tasks on exhibit production tools, equipment, and facilities. Maintain and update safety records, supplies.
– High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
– Background and demonstrated experience in art, sculpture, building, and natural history and basic computer skills required.
– Experience and skill desired in working with diverse materials, including; wood, plastics, foam, steel, brass, aluminum, mold-making materials, resins, fiberglass, rigging hardware, and paint.
– Candidate should possess strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work well with others.
– BA or BFA in a related field is preferred.
The American Museum of Natural History is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The Museum does not discriminate with respect to employment, or admission or access to Museum facilities, programs or activities on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, current or former participation in the uniformed services, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin, or on account of any other basis prohibited by applicable City, State, or Federal law. Additional protections are afforded in employment based on arrest or conviction record, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, unemployment status, and credit history, in each case to the extent provided by law. If special accommodations are needed in applying for a position, please call the Office of Human Resources.