The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math.
MoMath is seeking a Product Developer to help bring an exclusive series of new mathematical toys and games, inspired by the Museum’s innovative range of exhibits and by the wonder and beauty of mathematics, to market. This is a creative role, and the successful candidate will be expected both to have input into the development of existing ideas and to put forward ideas of his/her own for consideration.
This is a full-time permanent position that offers a full suite of benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working in collaboration with exhibit designers, mathematics consultants, and technical staff, take initial ideas from concept or prototype form to a final product that is suitable for mass marketing to educational institutions and the general public
- Identify creative, cost-effective manufacturing solutions to enable the creation of entertaining new games, toys, and puzzles
- Drive the sourcing and supplier process, including negotiating price and supplier agreements
- Communicate directly with suppliers and factories to ensure they understand the design requirements and meet quality guidelines and deadlines
- History of success as a detail-oriented project manager overseeing the entire product life cycle, from idea to prototype to mass production
- Proven aptitude to manage complex projects within time and budget constraints
- A record of producing or conceiving of at least one compelling toy or puzzle, preferably math-related, not currently in commercial production
- Strong ability to select, negotiate with, and manage contract manufacturers
- Familiarity with 3D CAD (e.g. SolidWorks/Autodesk Inventor)
- Experience with rapid prototyping / additive manufacturing preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of manufacturing, global supply chain, and regulatory requirements
To apply, please email the following to email@example.com with a subject line that includes “Product Developer” and your name: A cover letter explaining how you meet the above criteria; a current résumé, including grade point averages; and a separate 150- to 500-word statement describing your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics.