General Summary: The Relief Keeper is responsible for providing care and maintenance to collection animals and their associated exhibits and holding areas. Relief Keepers may be assigned to work in any of the animal areas to meet business needs. Therefore, this person must be knowledgeable and comfortable working with a variety of species on a regular basis. Relief Keepers are expected to support Animal Keeper 1 staff and Management in the observation of collection animals, by paying special attention to health, safety, dietary consumption, and behavioral abnormalities. This position will directly report to the Area Manager assigned to the Farm Yard, and may take direction from other Animal Department staff as scheduled.
- Staff contact yard areas and animal guest interactive areas as scheduled;
- Assist Animal Keeper 1 staff in animal areas as scheduled;
- Report changes in animals? appetite, disposition, habits, and in physical appearance and/or excreta to Animal Keeper 1 staff;
- Inspect enclosures, fencing, pools, and furniture for cleanliness and/or structural defects and to perform minor repairs as needed;
- Prepare diets for animals, clean and fill water containers, and place food in exhibits at specified times per daily protocol;
- Clean facilities, exhibits, and associated animal areas according to the area protocols or as directed;
- Provide species appropriate and approved enrichment and training to animals according to area protocols;
- Assist in data collection for approved research projects;
- Provide routine maintenance of facilities and minor repair of equipment, exhibits, and all associated animal areas;
- Maintain familiarity with all animal recapture and restraint equipment;
- Assist with routine veterinary, emergency, training or husbandry, and management procedures;
- Assist with medical care procedures and administer medication as directed;
- Provide general maintenance of grounds in and around exhibits and associated facilities;
- Act as a member of the Animal Recapture Team as needed and directed;
- Drive to specified locations as needed;
- Interact in a consistently pleasant and helpful manner to fellow employees, guests, vendors, and other visitors of the Zoo and demonstrate the highest standards of internal and external customer service;
- Perform other duties as assigned; and,
- Adhere to all policies and procedures of the Zoo.
Communication (Internal and External):
- Maintain reports on all animal conditions in daily reports, diary, records, etc. per departmental protocol;
- Provide regular updates to the Animal Keeper 1 staff on the condition and status of the animal collection;
- Attend Zoo general staff meetings and departmental meetings;
- Interpret the Zoo to guests, donors, and zoo associates;
- Attend all staff training sessions as directed; and,
- Promote the mission of The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore.
Management of Resources (financial, human resources, facilities):
- Unload and store commissary items; and,
- Maintain equipment and tools in a good state of repair.