The San Diego Natural History Museum is seeking intuitive, reliable, attentive, detail-oriented individuals with strong communication and customer service skills part-time security officers. Security officers are expected to uphold the museum rules and regulations by patrolling, observing, and reporting to the Security Supervisor and Operations Manager. This position is also expected to be the exemplary for Museum safety, customer service, general Museum knowledge, Park knowledge, and a model citizen, as well as protect Museum property and provide safety for Museum visitors, employees, and vendors.
This position requires Saturday and Sunday availability. Holidays and some evenings are required. The San Diego Natural History Museum is open daily, except for Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
- Patrol, observe, and report to Security Supervisor, Operations Manager, and Director of Visitor Services
- Assist visitors and provide a variety of information regarding the Museum and Balboa Park.
- Maintain a guest approach with all visitors to ensure a positive experience, including greeting each person as they enter and thanking each visitor as they leave.
- Learn and stay current with Museum knowledge, such as pricing, membership, closures, and policies.
- Maintain high level of awareness with regard to Museum rules, regulations, procedures, and policies; and enforce these with visitors and staff.
- Daily documentation required to keep up to date the Daily Log.
- Respond to visitor complaints and/or requests for assistance and evaluate appropriate course of action
- Respond to emergency situations within and directly outside Museum (i.e. natural disasters, medical emergencies, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Current Guard Card certification through BSIS
- Current CPR/AED/First Aid Certification
- High School diploma or equivalent; Post High school work preferred
- 2 – 5 years of security experience, preferably in a cultural institution
- Able to walk or stand up to 5 hours
- Able to climb stairs, stop, kneel; able to respond quickly or jog
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to maintain a professional demeanor in a challenging, dynamic environment and with all levels of patrons
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Intuitive decision-making and response
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Comfortable dealing with a wide array of guests and customer service situations
- Ability to perform crowd control by providing clear guidance and direction
- Bilingual preferred
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls or drop-ins please.