General Summary:? The Staff Accountant works directly with the controller in support of the Finance Department functions.? The Staff Accountant will assist with monthly financial close, preparation of financial statements and analytical reports, review, cash room, processing of accounts payable, budget preparation, tracking of Grants, and other financial and administrative duties as assigned. ?
- Assist in preparation of end of month journal entries for preparation of Financial Statements on a timely basis;
- Assist in preparation of ?monthly Balance Sheet supporting schedules for all balance sheet accounts by the 10th of each month;
- Assist in preparation of ?analysis as needed by the Controller and/or CFO;
- Assist in preparation of ?Scorecard on a monthly basis? for review
- Maintain proper records and accounting of all grants;
- Reconcile fund balances to Navision on a monthly basis;
- Maintain Fixed assets schedules using Navision, prepare Fixed Assets roll forward schedule and safe keep records;
- Review all disbursements related to the Maryland Zoological Society, Inc., ensuring proper? coding and ordering.
- Review vendor account details to ensure information for IRS 1099 reporting is complete;
- Provide sound training and development to accounts payable staff through sound objectives, guidance, training, and the appropriate delegation of responsibility;
- Coordinate and maintain accurate void and credit records within the computer system;
- Prepare the daily cash receipts journal from information obtained from Altru for daily posting into Navision;
- Enter the daily attendance from Altru into Navision by General Journal entry
- Assist Controller and CFO with creating reports and Queries in Altru to analyze data base.
- Review Cash Receipts Manifest journal daily for accuracy of coding and for tracking of grant funds prior to recording in Navision;
- Assist the Controller with the annual operating budget process, including the preparation and distribution of budget guidelines and documentation to all Project Champions;
- Assist with Quarterly Budget meeting preparation and meetings
- Assist with the functions of the cash room including being available to be a backup in an emergency.
- Maintain petty cash
- Prepare accrued expense schedule and record appropriate expenses on a monthly basis;
- Cleanout and store prior years records and setup the new year?s accounting department files;
- Handle customer inquiries (internal and external) in an expedient and professional manner;
- Assist with end of year Financial audit;
- Promote the mission of The Maryland Zoo;
- Perform other duties as assigned; and,
- Adhere to all policies and procedures of the Zoo.
Communication (Internal and External):
- Maintain open and clear communications regarding any extraordinary financial event with the Controller;
- Responsible for providing assistance to budget preparers, reviewing budget submissions, and communicating approved budgets to all units;?
- Complete all necessary paperwork related to funding and ensure the collection and remittance of all draw requests for appropriate capital projects; and,
- Respond to inquiries from vendors, customers, and employees in a professional and timely manner.
Management of Resources (financial, human resources, facilities):
- Meet guidelines of the Cash Discrepancy Policy on a consistent basis;
- Ensure PCI compliance is met; and,
- Use GAAP guidelines for preparation of financial statements.