The Visitor Services Supervisor works across multiple areas, at times supervising daily operations of ticketing, retail and/or membership. The position assists the Visitor Services Managers with staff supervision and morale, fiscal responsibilities and sales growth. The ideal candidate will have the ability to work collaboratively, possess exceptional organizational and leadership abilities, and demonstrate a technical aptitude with point of sale systems and a commitment to exceptional guest service. In addition, the ideal candidate will have a proven ability to analyze and solve problems, establish and meet goals, set priorities, handle diverse responsibilities and deadlines, and manage an eclectic, energetic staff.
- Model appropriate behavioral standards for staff; set pace for work quality and productivity
- Help develop and maintain a team-oriented environment; maintain effective lines of communication between staff and management
- Prepare and conduct staff meetings as assigned
- Assist in developing and implementing policies and procedures
- Create training modules/manuals and conduct trainings for front line staff as needed
- Ensure timely communication of essential information to staff and Visitor Services Management Team
- Assist with staff performance evaluations; monitor performance and development and provide timely feedback; maintain confidentiality where appropriate
Fiscal Responsibilities and Sales Growth:
- Review budgeted/forecast revenue goals with management and assist in meeting or exceeding those goals
- Support management in driving sales, financial and inventory management, and ensuring that profitability and productivity goals are met; maintain expense controls.
- Participate in loss prevention controls/procedures
- Support management in analyzing business performance and implementing action plans to improve sales through visitor service improvements, merchandising, contests, data analysis, etc.
- Assist with accurate and timely completion of scheduled inventories and database maintenance
- Assist in developing and maintaining cash management practices
- Assist in preparation of deposits and accurately complete all opening/closing procedures
- Assist management in meeting or exceeding service metric targets
- Use initiative & enthusiasm on the floor, engage customers in friendly & helpful interactions
- Create sales using a variety of genuine and sincere approaches (product demonstration, anecdotal stories, etc.) which demonstrate an analysis of the customer’s needs
- Build sales using various techniques (add-ons, substitutions, active listening, etc.) and effectively close sales
- Model and maintain positive interactions with customers-demonstrating a “yes” attitude
- Handle customer concerns with professionalism-demonstrate exceptional conflict management and resolution skills
- Communicate relevant customer feedback to appropriate parties in a timely manner
- Model exemplary personal customer service and selling skills to maximize staff performance and productivity
- Maintain appearance and functionality of guest queues, ticketing areas, retail stores, guest amenities, and related spaces with a focus on guest and staff safety at all times
Other duties as assigned
- An AA/AS degree and at least 3 years museum, hospitality, or retail experience; previous supervisory experience required, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Exceptional attention to detail and proven ability to follow-up
- Commitment to superior customer service
- Ability to build and be part of a team oriented environment
- POS system and general computer skills, including spreadsheets, word processing and e-mail applications, technically proficient
- Exceptional time-management and delegation skills
- Honest, dependable and punctual; flexible in a variety of situations
- Leadership ability; diplomatic and decisive
- Excellent communication skills; English proficiency mandatory, bilingual skills an asset
- Neat, organized and accurate in work habits
- Able to work closely and effectively with museum staff & general public, particularly children
- Cash handling experience required
- Ability to handle multiple and changing tasks; ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays, as well as extended schedules during peak periods
- Able to move from place to place which may include standing and/or walking for extended periods of time; lift and carry up to 75 pounds short distances; bend, kneel, reach
Open until filled.
HOW TO APPLY
This is a regular, full-time (37.5 hours/week), exempt, management position and includes benefits. This position requires evening and weekend hours. To apply, please visit the Exploratorium job page. Please, no phone calls in regards to this job.
The Exploratorium is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.