The Madison Square Garden Company (MSG) is a world leader in live sports and entertainment experiences. The company presents or hosts a broad array of premier events in its diverse collection of iconic venues: New York’s Madison Square Garden, Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall and Beacon Theatre; the Forum in Inglewood, CA; and The Chicago Theatre. Other MSG properties include legendary sports franchises: the New York Knicks (NBA) and the New York Rangers (NHL); two development league teams – the Westchester Knicks (NBAGL) and the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL); and esports teams through Counter Logic Gaming, a leading North American esports organization, and Knicks Gaming, MSG’s NBA 2K League franchise. In addition, the Company features the popular original production – the Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes – and through Boston Calling Events, produces New England’s preeminent Boston Calling Music Festival. Also under the MSG umbrella is TAO Group, a world-class hospitality group with globally-recognized entertainment dining and nightlife brands: Tao, Marquee, Lavo, Avenue, Beauty & Essex and Vandal. More information is available at www.themadisonsquaregardencompany.com
Specific Functions/Activities Summary
- A leader capable of initiating and sustaining the build and installation process.
- Responsible for consistent and highest level of show quality of productions at all times.
- Primary responsibility for the technical operations of the RCMH theatre, including lighting, sound, set design, projection, special effects, construction coordination, and necessary maintenance.
- Serves as the organization’s primary point of contact for any technical inquiries from external contacts (e.g. for bookings and tours).
- Translates concept development into technical reality and sets production plan.
- Maintains a detailed understanding of our vendor contracts and agreements for the purpose of engaging on performance management and recommending changes/updates as needed.
- Collaborates across teams to gather requirements and create comprehensive project/production plans including timelines, budget, quality, change, risk and issues.
- Track activities on projects, prioritize competing needs, and communicate effectively to stakeholders and clients.
- Anticipates roadblocks & obstacles and establish integration points and channels between teams. Ensures that senior management is aware of potential issues.
- Build excellent relationships with corporate & venue team, vendors, key consultants through positive, consistent communications.
- Minimum of 15+ years of experience as a technical production manager or director in themed creative entertainment, Broadway theatre, national or international tours, and/or large scale live entertainment with hands on prior experience in any one of the following: Audio Engineering, Master Electrician, Light Design, and/or Set Design
- Bachelor of Arts required. MFA in Technical Theater or equivalent professional experience preferred.
- Superior production management and deep current technical direction knowledge about design technical aspects and ability to manager production aspects across diverse teams.
- Oversees scenery, sound, projection, lighting, design, staff supervision and training, and working with the VP Productions managing budgets and operational or production scheduling.
- Manage multiple projects and keep team members on track, on time and on budget.
- Extensive knowledge of AVCL system design and implementation, show control equipment, SFX, rigging and the methodology of interconnection various digital and analog systems, including knowledge of all theatrical disciplines including media, lighting, sound, LED display, playback and projection.
- Familiarity in AutoCAD 3D & 2D.
- Deep experience in reading design and construction drawings in order to vet and provide technical feedback.
- Deep knowledge and ability to interface with all theatrical systems and designers including scenic, audio, lighting, special effects, costumes, props, video and projection. Incl.knowledge of production management process and production management tools/ techniques.
- Strong ability to identify and correct safety hazards and be proactive about safety concerns within the theatrical/event setting including assessment of “B” show and 101 conditions.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that will occasionally require weekends, nights and holidays and must be willing to travel to other locations as needed.
- Familiar and comfortable in dealing with all theatrical unions
- Oversees this department, approximately 2 staff out of season and 100+ in season
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB:
- Will require some travel and the ability to work long hours and weekends when required.
Educational requirements may differ from job to job based on the role.