Ignite your curiosity this summer—apply for the Exploratorium’s Welcome to Work Internship Program. The Tinkering Intern will work with various teams in the organization, primarily embedded within the Tinkering Studio. The Tinkering Studio is an immersive, active, creative place where visitors can slow down, become deeply engaged in an investigation of scientific phenomena, and make something that fully represents their ideas and aesthetic. This intern will also work closely with the Tinkering Afterschool Program.
About This Position
- Practice and reflect tinkering facilitation skills
- Participate in tinkering activity development, and practice research and documentation skills
- Learn to use new tools (such as laser cutters, drills, saws, etc.) as part of the activity development process
- Develop a “tinkerer’s mindset” of taking playful approaches to learning that combines art and science
You are seeking an opportunity to practice the skills you have been learning in an educational space. Skills you will bring and expand upon are:
- Strong interest in maker-centered learning or playful approaches to learning
- Interest in building educational materials or making samples as part of the activity research and development process
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Intellectual curiosity and commitment to continuous improvement
- You are currently studying education, science, art, museum studies, or related subjects
About This Role
This is a temporary, part-time (28 hours per week), nonexempt position. Participants must be able to be physically present in San Francisco for the duration of the internship: June 15– August 15, 2020. Weekly schedule is flexible within the hours of 9:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m Monday–Friday. The position is eligible for benefits beginning August 1, 2020.
Completed applications are due Monday, February 24, 2020 (midnight PST). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Exploratorium is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity, inclusion and respect. We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.