The Tourism Sales Manager is responsible for selling and marketing Academy products in assigned markets. Key responsibilities include generating revenue by selling Academy products via B2B channels locally in the San Francisco Bay Area and domestically throughout the United States.
With knowledge and understanding of sales and tourism industry, the Tourism Sales Manager will communicate directly with clients and prospects, understand their individual needs, and recommend products or services that maximize revenue. The Tourism Sales Manager will also market Academy products via trade shows, sales trips and direct sales. This position reports to the Associate Director of Travel Industry Sales.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable persons with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Meet or exceed established goals including revenue, per cap and attendance in assigned business channels
- Manage customers in assigned business channels, developing strong ties with key customers and accounts and being proactive in understanding the trends and issues likely to impact the market
- Establish and maintain relationships with corporate accounts, hotels and education and senior group tour operators
- Prepare and implement annual sales plan for assigned markets
- Manage and develop annual revenue and expense budgets for assigned markets
- Actively prospect and develop new business: Including cold calls, outside sales calls, attending trade shows, networking and industry events
- Set up face to face meetings with clients and prospective clients within target marketplace and manage the sales process from initial contact through contract
- Manage and grow ongoing sales pipeline and research opportunities to identify target prospects within assigned territory
- Manage Sales Coordinator activities related to execution of strategies in assigned business channels
- Travel throughout Northern California and domestically for trade shows, sales calls, client visits and events
- Develop and manage strategic plans for each business channel to consistently achieve sales goals and optimize revenue for the Academy
- Develop and execute client communication strategy, including newsletters and eMarketing campaigns
- Utilize Salesforce, Google Drive, and Tessitura Ticketing systems to review and report on account performance on a weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Work independently and with business development resources to develop and execute prospecting strategies to identify, qualify and drive new business
- Maintain current and accurate information on account status and sales activity in Salesforce for all accounts
- Ensure timely follow-up with clients, before and after sales calls, group inquiries, etc.
- Responsible for expense and revenue budget development and oversight
- Facilitate contracting of sales agreements for accounts
- Preparation for industry trade shows and other assigned duties
- Collaborate with the Academy departments to facilitate the needs of the clients and overall business within the sales area
- Assist with external (tour) and local group inquiries as needed
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required or preferred.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
A qualified candidate will have a combination of the following experience and/or equivalent education:
- Minimum 4 years of direct sales experience working in the travel industry and or corporate travel.
- 4 year college degree, or equivalent industry experience.
- Possess experience directly related to the travel & tourism industry; and corporate San Francisco market
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proven track record to achieve revenue goals for a cultural venue, hotel, museum, or associated venue within a travel industry sales area of responsibility.
- Strong communication skills across multiple disciplines, cultures and geographies; demonstrate communication skills including written, verbal, and presentation
- Proficient in Customer Relationship Management (Salesforce CRM) database, Galaxy Gateway, Tessitura ticketing systems or similar applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines, time constraints; ability to multitask without compromising quality. Excellent organizational and administrative skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to travel domestically and to work evenings and weekends as appropriate for the business.
- Excellent phone demeanor and customer service, manages mail (incoming and outgoing) and group client appointments to the In-market sales department.
- Moderate to high proficiency in MS Office and Google Drive, particularly Excel/sheets and PowerPoint.
- Ability to interact with a high degree of professionalism at all levels with business partners.
- Naturally self-disciplined, tenacious, practical and results orientated.
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality of all related Academy records.
- Clean driving record required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals. Bilingual (spoken and/or written) in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, or other non-English language preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Must be able to lift 40 lbs. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 75% of the time.
Please submit your cover letter and resume online at https://calacademy.snaphire.com Note that the recruitment timeline for positions vary and depend on many factors, so it is impossible to accurately predict when a position will close. We appreciate your patience during this process. No phone calls please.
The California Academy of Sciences welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities, and beliefs to join achieving our mission to explore, explain, and sustain life on Earth. We place diversity, equity, and inclusion at the heart of our recruiting efforts and strive to build a culture centered on mutual respect, equal treatment, and the opportunity to succeed.
The California Academy of Sciences will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensuring that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
The California Academy of Sciences is a non-smoking facility. There is also no smoking in Golden Gate Park.