General Summary: Each year, the Maryland Zoo relies on approximately 1,000 volunteers in different capacities to help execute its mission to engage guests in supporting wildlife and wild places. The Volunteer Operations Supervisor will partner with other Volunteer Department staff to ensure the success of the Zoo’s several volunteer programs by performing essential operational functions such as data management, reporting, scheduling, communication, and supporting training and evaluation.
- Proactively and enthusiastically engage volunteers in a variety of volunteer programs that support the zoo?s mission and reflect the interests and needs of the zoo?s audiences, including teen programs, internships, group service projects, special event support, campus maintenance, education, and guest support;
- Support daily office functions for volunteers of all types, including sharing operational updates, ensuring access to necessary materials, and answering questions;
- In the absence of a volunteer manager, the operations coordinator may be required to assume managerial functions;
- Provide leadership at large events and projects where volunteers participate;
- Stay engaged with local and online communities in order to attract a vibrant diversity of new volunteers with a
passion for conservation, service, and people;
- Facilitate smooth and speedy onboarding for new volunteers by processing applications, organizing interviews, and
- Maintain thorough and accurate volunteer records and generate reports using the volunteer management database and other tools;
- Maintain the physical resources of the volunteer program such as radios, keys, uniforms, etc.;
- With other members of the volunteer management team, administer a volunteer appreciation program
- Take an active role in daily operations and program development of teen volunteers as needed by coordinating schedules, arranging physical resources, leading activities, organizing presenters, and team building;
- Communicate regularly with volunteers using a variety of media;
- Perform other duties as assigned; and,
- Adhere to all policies and procedures of the Zoo.
Communication (Internal and External):
- Communicate with potential and current volunteers using all available media;
- Partner with other members of the Volunteer Department to ensure consistency and coherence across programs; and
- Deliver extraordinary customer service to all Zoo guests and internal customers.
Management of Resources (financial, human resources, facilities):
- Ensure volunteer records are maintained appropriately for statistical and reporting purposes; and,
- Take an active role in tracking and stocking necessary supplies such as gloves, radios, etc.;