The Madison Square Garden Company (MSG) is a world leader in live sports and entertainment experiences. The company presents or hosts a broad array of premier events in its diverse collection of iconic venues: New York’s Madison Square Garden, Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall and Beacon Theatre, and The Chicago Theatre. Other MSG properties include legendary sports franchises: the New York Knicks (NBA) and the New York Rangers (NHL); two development league teams – the Westchester Knicks (NBAGL) and the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL); and esports teams through Counter Logic Gaming, a leading North American esports organization, and Knicks Gaming, MSG’s NBA 2K League franchise. In addition, the Company features the popular original production – the Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes – and through Boston Calling Events, produces New England’s preeminent Boston Calling Music Festival. Also under the MSG umbrella is TAO Group, a world-class hospitality group with globally-recognized entertainment dining and nightlife brands: Tao, Marquee, Lavo, Avenue, Beauty & Essex and Vandal. More information is available at www.themadisonsquaregardencompany.com
1) the development of an annual audit plan which focuses on high risk financial reporting and operational issues, and
2) the Company’s internal control assessment, testing and related certifications in compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX).
This position will contribute to the assessment of risk within the Company and will be a key participant in developing the annual internal audit project plan to assist MSG management and the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors in their oversight and related governance responsibilities. This position, working with outside advisors, will help to develop the strategy to meet the plan objectives, deadlines and budget. With regard to the internal audit and SOX plans, this will entail providing recommendations in the development of the scope and objectives of the plans and providing certain oversight on the fieldwork being performed as well as providing assistance in the presentation of results to MSG management and the Audit Committee. This position will also coordinate audit coverage with MSG’s external audit firm with a goal of allowing the external audit firm to obtain optimal reliance on Internal Audit’s work.
One of the major goals of this position is to provide assistance in the re-assessment of the controls that MSG currently considers as key controls. The VP-Internal Audit must be extremely knowledgeable in business controls, auditing requirements including the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) requirements, US GAAP, and best practices and emerging trends for audit organizations. Working with our external co-sourced resources, this position will assist in the management of the audit process and approach for MSG Networks and MSG Sports, two related parties for which MSG provides transition services arrangements.
This position will also participate in discussions with various leaders of MSG including the President, the CFO, other functional EVPs and SVPs and the Audit Committee.
Specific Functions/Activities Summary
- Co-ordinate the activities of both internal and external resources for the Internal Audit and Sox activities at MSG, MSG Networks and MSG Sports.
- Work with the internal audit team at MSG to facilitate on-going training and development of audit staff members so that the team is highly effective and respected as solutions-based, value added advisors to management and the related governance bodies
- Acting with co-sourced resources, interface with company leadership and the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors at MSG, MSG Networks and MSG Sports.
- Participate in the development of a thoughtful annual internal audit and SOX plan which reflects the priorities of the three organizations that focuses on financial and operational audits, SOX control testing, continuous monitoring and ad hoc projects.
- Be a great business partner and establish and maintain excellent relationships within the SOX and Internal Audit team, co-sourcing partners, external auditors, and leaders across the MSG businesses
- Provide input on the development of reports to company management and the Audit Committee regarding internal audits executed and assessments of internal control over financial reporting
- Provide recommendations to improve and enhance internal control processes
- A minimum of 12 plus years of combined internal/external audit experience, with a minimum of 8 years in a management role in a fast-paced environment.
- Current CPA or CIA.
- Undergraduate degree Finance or Accounting or related field of study.
- A proven ability to manage significant sized audits at a public company
- Experience assessing business risk and evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of internal control systems.
- Proven track record of driving improvement in the internal audit function and creating stronger business partnering relationships, rather than simply enforcing guidelines.
- Extensive experience with GAAP, GAAS, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, SEC, PCAOB requirements, etc.
- Unwavering ethics and dependability.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) in interactions with staff, senior management and Board members.
- A leader who is fast-paced, high-energy, change-oriented and is able to work with ambiguity.
- Must have solid public accounting experience in managing resources/projects.
- Must have strong technical accounting and auditing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically
- Proven ability to make decisions while being both a flexible and disciplined thinker
- Self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge of COSO internal control framework and related business process control activities
Educational requirements may differ from job to job based on the role.