The Madison Square Garden Company (MSG) is a world leader in live sports and entertainment experiences. The company presents or hosts a broad array of premier events in its diverse collection of iconic venues: New York’s Madison Square Garden, Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall and Beacon Theatre; the Forum in Inglewood, CA; and The Chicago Theatre. Other MSG properties include legendary sports franchises: the New York Knicks (NBA) and the New York Rangers (NHL); two development league teams – the Westchester Knicks (NBAGL) and the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL); and esports teams through Counter Logic Gaming, a leading North American esports organization, and Knicks Gaming, MSG’s NBA 2K League franchise. In addition, the Company features the popular original production – the Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes – and through Boston Calling Events, produces New England’s preeminent Boston Calling Music Festival. Also under the MSG umbrella is TAO Group Hospitality, a world-class hospitality group with globally-recognized entertainment, dining and nightlife brands including Tao, Marquee, Lavo, Avenue, Beauty & Essex and Cathédrale. More information is available at www.themadisonsquaregardencompany.com
The Vice President will play a leadership role in driving greater usage of MSG’s Purchasing System (currently Coupa) to enhance our purchasing controls as well as to better automate the purchase requisition/invoice approval process. In collaboration with the Accounts Payable group, this position will also review our Procurement-to-Pay end-to-end processes to identify and enhance efficiencies and automate where appropriate.
Specific Functions/Activities Summary
- Oversee Procurement operations for substantially all company acquisitions including the procurement of all purchases for our venues, our productions, the Training Center, and Corporate.
- Provide assistance where needed with respect to procurement requirements for the Vegas and London Spheres as well as for content.
- Develop automated methods to track companywide spending by category as well cost savings achieved through various purchase initiatives companywide.
- Manage the competitive bidding process and ensure that contracts are awarded as appropriate.
- Collaborate with Facilities and Technology Group to develop improvements in our F&B and Merch ordering, warehousing and payment processes.
- Review all food and beverage purchase activities to insure we are getting the best quality and pricing
- Create bids for major renovation projects for our Venues and Office Services departments
- Update Procurement Polices and Procedure when required based on internal audit recommendations and insure they are in compliance with requirements set forth by Sarbanes Oxley.
- Collaborate with the Security Intelligence Team regarding potential new vendor relationships
- BS in Finance, Business, Purchasing or Operations related field; MBA preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience in general procurement role; Minimum of four (4) years of experience in Corporate Services related spend (i.e. Finance, HR, Legal, Office Services, etc.)
- Ability to effectively build relationships and hold ongoing dialogues with executive management (EVP/SVP level) of various groups, including Venues, Sports, MSG Networks, and the Corporate functions. Ability to translate goals into procurement opportunities as well as effectively communicate progress.
- Must have technical depth in procurement best practices – particularly in procurement transformation strategies, and process and improvements with focus on complete procure-to-pay processes.
- Hands on experience with obtaining bids as well as use of a procurement system; Coupa experience is a plus
- Experience in managing and developing talent within a large team
- Key Competencies: leadership & development, impact focused, adaptability, project management, strong influencing skills, and high-level communication/negotiation/problem solving capabilities.
- Strong quantitative skills: Perform detailed comparative financial analysis and present summary findings to Executive Management in a logical, concise manner.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, and good organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent skills in MS Office Programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- 7 Directors
- 4 Managers
- 2 Analysts
Oversee team of 13 professionals responsible for the following areas:
- Food and all Facilities-specific Procurement for MSG Venues including: MSG Arena, Radio City, Beacon, the Chicago Theater, the Training Center, and the MSG Hub at 2 Penn Plaza and the Fourm.
- Entertainment/Live Procurement for items such as production services, costumes, catering, A/V, scene design, props, decorations, contractors, etc.
- MSG Sports/Entertainment marketing procurement for agencies, media services, professional services, etc.
- Corporate procurement for cell phones, overnight deliveries, offices supplies, car services, copier services, vehicle fleet, vending machines, bulk storage, moving services, etc.
- Print production procurement related to MSG Sports, banners, flyers, direct mail, season ticket holder packets, calendars, giveaways, flags, murals, floats, etc.
- Technology procurement
- Hotel and airline procurement
Educational requirements may differ from job to job based on the role.